800ltr Marine tank Journal

si_sphinx

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would allow plenty of room around the rock for cleaning glass as well even the back unless you don't mind it being covered in algae( could eventually look good covered in coralline but that's a personal choice ) also what purpose is the sand in the sump for? It's not deep enough for a Dsb

I would allow plenty of room around the rock for cleaning glass as well even the back unless you don't mind it being covered in algae( could eventually look good covered in coralline but that's a personal choice ) also what purpose is the sand in the sump for? It's not deep enough for a Dsb

This is why I post here so I can get feedback because this is all new to me.

I don't mind algae on the glass, just not the front.

I am going to remove all the coral rubble from the sump and add more sand. What would be a good depth for a DSB? It is 7-8cm at the moment.

I tried that but I have too much rock. And I always knock the rock accidentally and scared of breaking the tank.

I might get some shallow bins and fill them with water to keep them wet as I do it, and all on a tarp.

Because you are dealing with basic shapes ( rocks ), you could try and draw some thumbnail ( 10 cm wide ) sketches and try different things with the layout. They only need to be basic.

takes seconds to draw out an idea but takes ages to arrange the rocks to test an idea only to find out you don't like it.

Just a thought.

Spent the good half of today redoing the rock layout.

Im a bit happier with it now but still doesn't look right. Hopefully its just because it doesn't have any corals.

Also made some brackets to hold the lights, just have to get some hooks for them.

The work space

IMG_1478_zps7640b8d7.jpg

And the current layout

IMG_1479_zps618bf37e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

bought some new equipment.

-Kalkwasser ATO Reactor.

-Dual GFO & Carbon Reactor.

-felt filter socks (stops the bigger particles and snails etc from getting into pumps and valves). Better than my other socks that were too fine and was changing them every 2nd day if I scrapped the algae on the glass.

Diatoms and cyano Algae has been and gone.

I'm loving how quick this tank has cycled since I pre cycled the rock for three months prior.

Every test reading I have done each week has said 0.0 on everything.

I have added everything from my 130ltr and readings are still stable a week later. Bigger tank is so much easier than a smaller one.

Here is the algae bloom. Added 15 catseye / turbo snails from my local rock pools and the algae is almost completely gone in a week.

IMG_1510_zps43a909fa.jpg

New reactors.

IMG_1524_zps5291f245.jpg

IMG_1521_zps7ab7f3dc.jpg

Also raised the skimmer up two inches to better tune it. It was running very wet but now is runner better.

IMG_1522_zpsc86cb90c.jpg

I will update with a current tank shot etc when the lights are on next.

GFO and carbon reactor is going. I still need to sort out a automatic electric top off system with pumps to dose the Kalkwasser.

Currently I just use a float valve and ATO reservoir feed by gravity.

My fish are so much happier out of the 130 now. Although I don't see the blue starfish or shrimp so much.

Still waiting for the RBTA to move and find its spot but it seems to be happy where I have put it right in the middle of the tank :facepalm:

awesome! So it is extremely sturdy ?

Yes to a point. The stacked rock around the overflow looks like it is leaning up in the corner but it is actually an inch away from the glass and fully standing by itself.

The putty doesn't stick to the wet rock so well but you can mold it around the rock and when it goes hard in 15mins it holds strong.