800ltr Marine tank Journal

si_sphinx

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed my plumbing layout today. Finally finished the overflow drain and added valves to the pump outside to make water changes easier. I just have to attach a hose, close a valve and open another to do a water change

image_zps9f16686c.jpg

image_zpsc064fe34.jpg

Got tired of looking at the bare bottom so gave in and added some sand.

image_zps73b5b47f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few updates today.

Magnesium test kit arrived in the mail

So while I tested for magnesium I thought I would test everything

The line up

null_zps397675e2.jpg

Test Results using API saltwater, API marine and Salifert Magnesium test kits,

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 0ppm

pH - 8.2

Calcium - 420ppm

Carbonate Hardness - 12dKH / 200ppm

Phosphate - 0.0-0.25ppm (will be looking into getting a better kit that can measure within 0.01ppm)

Magnesium - 1260 (although this is fine I will add 250gr of Magnesium sulphate heptahydrate to my top up water to increase to 1300ppm)

Salanity - 1.026 (measured using a refractometer)

New 10,000k LED light added over sump

null_zps989ca802.jpg

MP40w Vortech wavemaker has replaced one of the 12,000lph wavemakers. These are cool pumps. I like how they alter their speed randomly to create the turbulence required for the corals and fish. However, they do seem to be quite noisy when they get up to full speed so I run it at about 80%. There is noticeably less water movement in the tank now. In the future I will replace the other 12,000lph wavemaker with another Vortech.

A new ATO system should becoming in the post next week. I will squeeze in a 35x35x55cm (60ltr) reservior tank in the stand. I will use this for evapouration top ups and adding the required ingredients to keep my parameters in check. This water will be pumped through a Kalkwasser reactor before it enters the sump.

ALSO in the next few weeks I should have a new lighting setup. The center MH on my unit seems to have stopped working, it flickers for a while when it comes on and then switches off. I haven't got around to finding the problem but it has pushed me into buying some LED units. SWMBO keeps telling me the lights and fans are too noisy. After complaining the return pump and water sounds were to noisy, I had moved the pump to a box outside and ironed out all the noise in the system, it is virtually silent now. But I can never win. So some silent lights should do the trick. It will just be, 'The Vortech pump sounds like a washing machine', complaint left.

I will start the lights off up high and intensity turned down and slowly adjust my tank to the new lights over a month or so.

The tank hasn't changed much since the last photos but I have ordered another heap of frags, yellow tang, banggai cardinal and cleaner shrimp.

More photos to come as things arrive on my doorstep :thup:

• 3 weeks later...

Package arrived today

null_zps05eee799.jpg

null_zpsd459c45f.jpg

null_zps11047da3.jpg

null_zpscca46ab9.jpg

null_zps132152b5.jpg

null_zpse789d7b8.jpg

null_zpsf07118b9.jpg

Old lights

null_zps8fb28f36.jpg

null_zps54df96d8.jpg

New K4 LED lights just sitting on top of the tank. Still need to hang them. A part was missing from the hanging kit so contacted the supplier and the part will be in the post tomorrow.

null_zpsebade5aa.jpg

There is amazing colors coming around the rocks and spilling onto the sand

null_zpsd53250de.jpg

These lights are completely 100% silent compared to the noisy fans and high pitched ring of my only MH unit.

I am going to sit there and watch the tank for an hour just to see the sunset feature on it.