Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coldwater Iwagumi

Featured Replies

_1060054.jpg

Here's a sneak peak at my up and coming project, a cold water iwagumi aquarium. In the context of an aquascape, the term "iwagumi" simply refers to using only rocks as hardscape material and only low growing plants in the scape. My project is to create an iwagumi style aquarium using rocks, hairgrass and moss. Fauna will be white cloud mountain minnows and shrimp. The aquarium measures 60x30x30cm and has custom lids to fit the filter pipes. I created the hanging light hood myself and it contains two CFL fittings, the filter is an Eheim 2213, pressurized CO2 will be used with an inline diffuser and substrate will be sand on top of aquabasis. Wish me luck!

  • Replies 192
  • Views 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Picked up some rocks and substrate from Stone and Water World today. The substrate is red coffee grit and the rocks are "moss rocks".

Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think.

1.

_1070027b.jpg

2.

_1070028b.jpg

3.

_1070029b.jpg

4.

_1070031b.jpg

5.

_1070032b.jpg

6.

_1070033b.jpg

The photos don't show the immense depth and detail of the large rock sadly, 'scape 6. is just to see what it's like without the large rock.

  • Author

Especially with that cool little cave part under it :D I bought this rock and 6 others for $5.68 ($0.40/kg) so I reckon it weighs about 10kgs, it really needs to be seen to be truly appreciated.

  • Author
I might get to do so if we ever go critter hunting :spop:

You mean WHEN we go critter hunting 8)

Thanks for the feedback Godly3vil, any changes you'd suggest?

  • Author
I know you have not asked for opinions

Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think.

Sure I have! Opinions and constructive feedback are good for developing and making sure the final layout the best it can be. I like 3 too, thanks for the feedback guys. Any reasons why you choose the 'scape you did? :)

I like no. 3 and 4, but i think no. 4 would look alot better either without the pointy rock in the back left corner, or replaced with another rock. It just looks too dissimilar to the rest of the rocks in the scape. :cofn:

  • Author

Been playing around this morning, just one scape but I'm really liking it. Also, my camera is a moody thing so I used Mum's camera instead :roll:

IMG_6693b.jpg

IMG_6694b.jpg

Here's where it gets interesting, the shape of the rock creates a natural bank at the back which I could use to do a tank like this with the plants growing at that height.

IMG_6695b.jpg

IMG_6696b.jpg

IMG_6697b.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

it looks good but there would be dead spots down the front in the corners where the current wasn't as strong, the crud would collect there and not necessarily get washed around to the back.

Not sure if that would be a concern but just saying.

  • Author

That is definitely of concern, I had the exact same issue in my AA tank. Nothing a couple of wavemakers can't fix :wink: Time to wash even MORE substrate :roll: :nilly:

  • Author

Added more substrate so I can easily plant, moved a couple of things. Will sit on this one overnight and if I still like it tomorrow I'll plant. Also bought a couple of timers for the lights and CO2 :)

IMG_6699b.jpg

I solved the dead spots a bit by taking the plants out of those corners, nothing for the crud to get stuck to.

I guess depends on whether you are going to cover the bottom with plants or leave some gravel bare anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.