January 6, 201313 yr comment_515065 Here's a sneak peak at my up and coming project, a cold water iwagumi aquarium. In the context of an aquascape, the term "iwagumi" simply refers to using only rocks as hardscape material and only low growing plants in the scape. My project is to create an iwagumi style aquarium using rocks, hairgrass and moss. Fauna will be white cloud mountain minnows and shrimp. The aquarium measures 60x30x30cm and has custom lids to fit the filter pipes. I created the hanging light hood myself and it contains two CFL fittings, the filter is an Eheim 2213, pressurized CO2 will be used with an inline diffuser and substrate will be sand on top of aquabasis. Wish me luck! Report
January 7, 201313 yr Author comment_515171 Picked up some rocks and substrate from Stone and Water World today. The substrate is red coffee grit and the rocks are "moss rocks". Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. The photos don't show the immense depth and detail of the large rock sadly, 'scape 6. is just to see what it's like without the large rock. Report
January 7, 201313 yr comment_515172 the big rock ones are definitely the better ones and will look really good with small critters Report
January 7, 201313 yr Author comment_515174 Especially with that cool little cave part under it I bought this rock and 6 others for $5.68 ($0.40/kg) so I reckon it weighs about 10kgs, it really needs to be seen to be truly appreciated. Report
January 7, 201313 yr Author comment_515187 I might get to do so if we ever go critter hunting :spop: You mean WHEN we go critter hunting 8) Thanks for the feedback Godly3vil, any changes you'd suggest? Report
January 7, 201313 yr comment_515189 I know you have not asked for opinions but you are getting mind anyway. I like 4. Good to see you found rocks that you like. Report
January 7, 201313 yr Author comment_515191 I know you have not asked for opinions Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think. Sure I have! Opinions and constructive feedback are good for developing and making sure the final layout the best it can be. I like 3 too, thanks for the feedback guys. Any reasons why you choose the 'scape you did? Report
January 7, 201313 yr comment_515194 I like no. 3 and 4, but i think no. 4 would look alot better either without the pointy rock in the back left corner, or replaced with another rock. It just looks too dissimilar to the rest of the rocks in the scape. :cofn: Report
January 7, 201313 yr comment_515243 I changed mine, I meant 4 and I like the pointy rock. Thats what drew me to that scape. Report
January 8, 201313 yr comment_515277 I like 2 and 4. 2 because it is low and four because it is low, high and has depth with a rock at middle, front and back Report
January 8, 201313 yr Author comment_515394 Been playing around this morning, just one scape but I'm really liking it. Also, my camera is a moody thing so I used Mum's camera instead :roll: Here's where it gets interesting, the shape of the rock creates a natural bank at the back which I could use to do a tank like this with the plants growing at that height. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Report
January 9, 201313 yr comment_515395 it looks good but there would be dead spots down the front in the corners where the current wasn't as strong, the crud would collect there and not necessarily get washed around to the back. Not sure if that would be a concern but just saying. Report
January 9, 201313 yr Author comment_515399 That is definitely of concern, I had the exact same issue in my AA tank. Nothing a couple of wavemakers can't fix Time to wash even MORE substrate :roll: :nilly: Report
January 9, 201313 yr Author comment_515404 Added more substrate so I can easily plant, moved a couple of things. Will sit on this one overnight and if I still like it tomorrow I'll plant. Also bought a couple of timers for the lights and CO2 Report
January 9, 201313 yr comment_515412 I solved the dead spots a bit by taking the plants out of those corners, nothing for the crud to get stuck to. I guess depends on whether you are going to cover the bottom with plants or leave some gravel bare anyway. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.