What bottom dwellers will be compatible with my cichlids?

TenyTinyKaz

Ok so I've sold all my fish and all but two of my tanks two years ago to move. Now I miss having fish so bad and I've set up my 120L tank so that I can get started whilst I aquire all I need to set up the 6ft. I am going to try my hand at cichlids this time, and absolutely love the electric blues and yellows, of course it helps that I just happend to meet someone here who happens to have some of these spare.

Now I would really like some life down the bottom of my tank as well. The substate is coral sand and there is some wood and coral rock and a fake log so I think there is enough hiding places for bottom dwellers. I've been researching but everytime I find a bottom dweller I think I really like it's either not compatible with the cichlids or (as happend when I fell in love with Zebra Plecos) way out of the reach of my pocket. So what I need help with is some lovely looking, special bottom dwellers who will be ok with the cichlids.

I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks now trying to find any info already on here and have read lots of helpful threads but still don't know what could work. I have learnt, that there are plenty of people on here who will have some great suggestions for me and I can't wait to hear from you. Ups on a great forum :D

hi and welcome.

bottom dwellers don't have to be catfish or algae eaters. in my tang tank, i have shellies which spend all of there time in the bottom 10cm of the tank. I also have leleupi which seem to stay near the bottom as well, certainly hang around the rock piles bit i don't know if that is typical or just because of the bigger tropheus hooning around at a higher level. You could also consider lump heads or even altolamprologus species which also spend a lot of time on or near the bottom.

i keep plecos (common and tiger) and algie eater(gold hibrid) in my african cichlid tank the higher ph has never bothered them so thats all fine and they have been happy in there for months just have to adjust them to the difrent water conditions correctly

tho algie eaters will have to be of the larger size small ones get chased around forever

brissle nose are also common in these tanks they some species live naturally in higher ph conditions in the wild anyway

i have seen clown loaches in african cichlid tanks but each time i see it the people who are doing that dont rase the ph for the fish and so the loach is fine but the rest of the africans are discoloured due to the wrong water for them ive seen that with 2 tanks one im 100% posative they dont adjust the ph the other the cichlids looked a bit washed out and the people didnt seem to know much about the fish

If its not a african cichlid tank and it uses normal water conditions you can put almost anything in there (so long as its not too small)

oh there is one type of catfish from lake malawi you can buy but if you do you will find it very very dificult to breed anything else with them around they eat the young of other fish and replace the eggs of other fish with their own

i cant remember the name off the top of my head but they are brown and kinda odd looking for a catfish

Thank you everyone for your input and welcome.

yep, bristlenoses and small plecos will be fine with cichlids. also catfish such as hoplo cat, cheap and tough.

algae eaters are good too, aka flying fox, golden algae eaters, chinese algae eaters.

you could even think about some clown loaches.

i have seen clown loaches in african cichlid tanks but each time i see it the people who are doing that dont rase the ph for the fish and so the loach is fine but the rest of the africans are discoloured due to the wrong water for them ive seen that with 2 tanks one im 100% posative they dont adjust the ph the other the cichlids looked a bit washed out and the people didnt seem to know much about the fish

My tank has a high ph for the cichlids, I didn't think that would be suitable for the clown loaches. I have kept clown loaches before they are awesom quirky fish which I would definately keep again. If clown loaches would be suitable, would it be possible to keep coolie (kuhlie) loaches? I would really like to have some of these guys.

hi and welcome.

bottom dwellers don't have to be catfish or algae eaters. in my tang tank, i have shellies which spend all of there time in the bottom 10cm of the tank.

I saw these guys on a doco about the African Rift Lakes quite some time ago, so cool. If there are shells in the tank would they behave similar to in the wild?

I've usually kept BN with cichlids. I like them for their usefulness in keeping the bottom cleaner.

I have also had Brissle noses before and would certainly consider keeping them again. Will have to think on this one.

oh there is one type of catfish from lake malawi you can buy but if you do you will find it very very dificult to breed anything else with them around they eat the young of other fish and replace the eggs of other fish with their own

i cant remember the name off the top of my head but they are brown and kinda odd looking for a catfish

I also saw these catfish on the doco, sneaky lill bugger, I would like to look at breeding once the 6ft is ready so think I will stay away from these guys.

OK, thank you all so much for your help, I think I have narrowed it down to a short list to get more info on:

Bristle Noses - These are looking like a solid "can't go wrong" fish I may end up getting one way or another.

Shellies - If I can get my fingers on these, I'm thinking I may introduce them after I've set up the 6ft.

Coolie (Kuhlie) Loaches - Can anyone tell me if these would be a possibility? Would love to have these cute lill guys.

Clown Loaches - I would love it if I could get some clarification on whether they will be ok with the high ph and what I would need to do to adjust them to it correctly?

I would avoid the kuhli loaches as they will probably end up as spaghetti for the cichlids, plus they really do prefer neutral to acid water.

also clowns being naked (tiny - no scale) fish can have trouble in african tanks with their tendancy to "taste" their tank mates.

I would stick with bristlenose (tough lil buggers)

or if you are doing more peaceful africans you may consider a Tanganyikan eel (may be hard to find though)

Thanks F15hguy, my research so far had told me that the water may not be suitable for the loaches, I will have to wait until I can talk my man into having a tank (hehehe).

Just had a quick look at the Tanganyikan eel, looking interesting, I'm off on an info hunt now, can you point me in the direction of any good sites/info on this interesting fish?

seriouslyfish.com is usually very good....

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/mastacembelus-ellipsifer/

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_elipsifer.php

http://diszhal.info/english/other/en_Aethiomastacembelus_ellipsifer.php

just google it, you'll find heaps...

i'll just check if its on the allowable list, but im sure ive seen these around before

I remember looking at these awhile ago, I don't think you will have much luck finding one as they haven't been bred commercially so all specimens available are wild caught which means demand overseas will probably mean we will never see them here. Don't quote me though I may be wrong.

i wouldnt wright the loaches off yet they can be tough little guys and it all depends on how you climitise your fish

when adding any of my fish to higher ph's i do it really slowley just get a bucket and some airhose

step 1 but fish in bucket with water they came in

step 2 using the air hose start a siphion slow enough to be just above a drip drip drip

step 3 let the water run into the bucket for about a hour or as long as it take to have to empty the bucket once and almost have to empty it again

step 4 catch the little blighters and put them in the tank

just as a note i ALWAYS feed the fish in the tank at the same time as adding the new fish or seconds before adding the fish because the africans are very curious and will chase the living daylights out of any new fish if they arnt preocupied

so thats it!

if you can find a cheap loach give it a try, fish keeping isent really a science what works for one person may not work for another but i would give it a go because i have other tanks that if they look like they dont like it i can rescue the little fulla and put him where he belongs

as a example i have a lake malawi tank but i have convicts had some red juwels (now in a new tank because i felt like it no other reason) electric yellows, red zebras the plecos and a bunch of other fish all in the one tank

Thanks Ilwis, I remain a bit concered as I do not have any other tanks running at the moment, the closest pet/LFS is a two hour return drive and the only person I know of in this area who has tanks has cichlids as well, so if they the loaches don't work out there isn't really a plan B for the lill guys. I'm going to have to consider all of this advice a bit further, it may be best for me to stick with the reliable brissle noses at this point, at least until I either move up to the 6ft or talk my fiance into letting me have a third tank. I don't want to get a fish only to traumatise it then have no where for it to go.

• 4 months later...