Time to clean the filter?

blueether

Had the filter apart today to clean the top sponge and filter wool and decided I'd have a look at how dirty the other two baskets were - they haven't been out of the filter since about the beginning/middle of winter at a guess...

Before:

DSCN0712.JPG

DSCN0713.JPG

After:

DSCN0714.JPG

DSCN0715.JPG

There was also about 1/2 an inch of crud under the bioballs in the bottom of the canister - that I managed to drop on the concrete drive when cleaning it out, just broke one of the feet luckily.

exceptional biological establishment. excellent poop build up, a complexity towards the delicate boquet of aroma. sludge looks high grade. side sticking squiggles are calm and balanced with well defined overtones of oak origins. good weight, sophisticated and harmonious on the palette. i'm picking location to be middle northern to east area. a drop i should love to revisit had i the time or opportunity.

I haven't cleaned my HOB filters in almost a year lol, I run sponge filters over the intake pipe which filters most of the crud out before it clogs the filters and just take them off and squeeze out in bucket of waste water while doing water changes when the flow is reduced through the filter. Works out to be fortnightly that the sponge filter begins to cave in showing reduced flow but keeps the internal parts of the filter clean other than a gradual build up of beneficial bacteria.

I cleaned my filter today, not sure why, it looked pretty clean still, and even the dirtyest parts didnt even smell...

Because you're sensible and don't want to run the risk of a filthy filter full of sludge turning toxic in the event of a power outage and polluting your tank?

Because you're sensible and don't want to run the risk of a filthy filter full of sludge turning toxic in the event of a power outage and polluting your tank?

on that note, when i do a water change, I turn my sump off so's not to run it dry, turn it back on and wham heaps of muck. how can I avoid that?

when i do a water change, I turn my sump off so's not to run it dry, turn it back on and wham heaps of muck. how can I avoid that?

Is it coming out of the sump itself or out of the plumbing? I've never figures out how to avoid the "crud" growing inside the plumbing, and subsequently have never really worried about it. Not sure how you could avoid turning the pump off either, you could do a water change via a drain in the sump with the system operating, but you'd need to turn it off to clean out the mechanical filtration at some point. The stocking idea would work, or just hold a fish net in front of the return when you first switch it on?

And back on the subject of dirty filters, I've been running a net between the spray bar and filter wool on my sump to catch the sawdust and large waste before it gets to the filter wool so it can easily be rinsed every couple of days. Tank is ~420L and heavily stocked, filtered with the sump plus an Eheim 2223 and ViaAqua 300 canisters. Here is 2.5 days worth of muck;

netcrud.jpg

yes that is a small dog turd sized pile of sawdust....