Need some help, super indecisive about tank dimensions......

David R

Laminated is no good, only as strong as the thinnest sheet AFAIK.

I'm interested to see with this simulation that the bottom corners show up as weak points (I am looking at it right eh?!). Why would there be more strain there than anywhere else along the sheet of glass?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was 12mm low-iron glass David. Of course it is nice, but I am not really sure it is worth the cost for what I can see (that's just me of course).

I had heard the same thing about the black silicon, but my structural engineer friends said that is rubbish, so I went with black silicon. I'd be interested to hear if you have more information than that (so I know whether or not I have to start worrying about my tank...).

Barnacle, can you run that simulation with full Euro bracing around the long edges top and bottom going all the way from one end of the tank to the other? I personally feel bracing is a waste of time unless it is done properly and these simulations are proving that point so nicely! Loving it!!

I personally feel bracing is a waste of time unless it is done properly and these simulations are proving that point so nicely! Loving it!!

Looks like the euro bracing is barely better than just center bracing. 1.7 minimum safety factor vs 1.8 for euro. I'd be curious to see what it looks like with no brace at all.

So I was moving my homebrew out of the garage and into the beer cellar (err, spare bedroom wardrobe), and walking straight past the tank room and though 'what better way to spend a sunday afternoon than making an actual-size mock up of my tank out of beer crates'....

Its one thing playing with numbers and sketches on paper, but putting it in front of you actual size is a different thing!! I've decided that the length will be 260cm, which will allow me just enough room to squeeze down between the wall and the end of the tank in case something gets stuck in the overflow. It looked kinda funny having it sticking out past the window too, so I think 105cm wide will have to do, that gives me 60mm at the back between the tank and the wall, which is plenty considering that the filter pipes will be running straight thru a hole in the wall. As for the height, 65 or 70cm, still not quite decided, 70cm is probably safe enough with 12mm, but still not 100%. The mock up was for 65cm high (4 crates is bang on 110cm total height, which is exactly what it will be with a 45cm stand) and that fills the room nicely.

mockup.jpg

Cant get far enough back to take a pic of the whole thing... :facepalm:

I'm not sure why you need a space behind the tank if all the plumbing is running through the wall?

I thinking, how much is the price difference between the bit bigger and 15mm and the 12mm? This tank would, hopefully, be in operation for 5-10 years and you're probably talking a running cost of $50-100/month. So we're talking up to $12,000 just to keep the lights on. What's an extra bit of money to begin with? Might as well go for as big and nice as possible to squeeze everything you can out of that running cost.

I thinking, how much is the price difference between the bit bigger and 15mm and the 12mm?

I will find out an exact cost for each, but AFAIK its somewhere in the region of a 50-100% increase. The reason I want to be able to squeeze down the side is for access to the overflow more than the plumbing, I've had to rescue fish and other objects from there before and I think I may end up regretting it if I have to lie across the top of the tank to get into the overflow with a net to rescue a lost plec.

Thomas you're right about not quite tipping the 2000L mark, but its just a number eh....

:cry:

yeah, dont have a tank too tall... unless you like to swim in a tepid bath.... then its ok:D

I say go for the bigger, largely cos this is really the tank to rule them all. it is unlikely you will have another tank in the house, maybe just the 4 foot for a sickbay and grow out....

but really, this IS THE TANK.

and money... money is made to be spent.... why do we earn it if we dont wanna spen dit?? :D

(playing devils advocate) 8)

YOu know you want to.... do it...... (where is a leprechaun icon when you need one?!?!)

As for cleaning the back wall, i can imagine, its impossible.

you doing hardscape or black background only?

If its just a balck background, then no cleaning on the back wall will ever be needed.

cos really, your royals will take care of that, any sailfin pleco would keep your tank clean back and sides. also wikth a blacked out pane of glass, you wouldnt notice anything anyways.

i didn't read most of this thread.

but i hope people are giving you the obvious answer.

you sir (master fish keeper who holds prized stock which is highly valuable not only monitarily but emotionally), should spare no expense in the containment of such stock, nor should you come across any logical reason not to.

number one rule of business: protect your assets.

a superb collection of high class fish are worth nothing amongst shagpile and broken glass.

do it once. do it properly.

your fish are worth more than your tank. no exceptions.

i didn't read most of this thread.

but i hope people are giving you the obvious answer.

you sir (master fish keeper who holds prized stock which is highly valuable not only monitarily but emotionally), should spare no expense in the containment of such stock, nor should you come across any logical reason not to.

number one rule of business: protect your assets.

a superb collection of high class fish are worth nothing amongst shagpile and broken glass.

do it once. do it properly.

your fish are worth more than your tank. no exceptions.

very nice brown nose.... im assuming you are hoping to get your hands on some of his stock??? :P

HAH! The homebrew is in rapid decline as I haven't brewed anything since January, only got a bit of stout and a couple of not-so-good crates from my early attempts left. :(

I know what you're saying about the fish being worth more than the tank, and just spread over the life of the tank etc etc etc, really just waiting to see what the difference in cost between 12mm and 15mm works out at...

I think the number one thing IMO would be choosing dimensions and design that minimises effort on maintenance; if you go too big and you can't maintain it properly then it's probably worth losing the extra 10cm or whatever. Ultimately you want an A class looking tank with quality stock; if you can achieve that without spending more on size/thicker glass then go with the cheaper option. :dunno:

I also th ink though that there is certainly an amazeballs factor to a huge tank, 4 foot wide, adds such an extreme depth that is so hard to comprehend.

you can put bits of wood in it for example, at the back and look far away, that adds a certain enjoyment for me.

having a black aro, david will need some good turning space if you want to reach that 70cm mark:D

110cm will be the MAX width due to the size restriction of the window I have to get the stand thru. 105cm gives me 50mm at the back and sits flush with the window at the side. 4' wide would be awesome, but hopefully 105cm should have a similar wow massive footprint factor, and will certainly be enough to keep Blacky Jr happy even when he hits 70cm+!!

110cm will be the MAX width due to the size restriction of the window I have to get the stand thru. 105cm gives me 50mm at the back and sits flush with the window at the side. 4' wide would be awesome, but hopefully 105cm should have a similar wow massive footprint factor, and will certainly be enough to keep Blacky Jr happy even when he hits 70cm+!!

True, that is a good width.

also, you dont need to clean the walls, your royals will do that 8)