quarantine setup questions

ilwis

dunno if its relevant but you may need a dangerous chemicals cert for the amount of disinfectant used (the prawn farm used pottasium permanganate which is a major oxidiser (and can cause spontaneous combustion in some cases)

i don't think i will need anything like that because the approved bio security treatments MPI-STD-ABTRT only lists dish-wash liquid as something to clean and disinfect with but if i find that i do need something else that shouldn't be a problem Ive already received the relevant training in it so it wont be much of a problem to get it certified.

tho that is interesting that they use it

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(iv) Does not exceed either 1 storey, or 10 square metres in

floor area, and does not contain sleeping accommodation or

sanitary facilities or facilities for the storage of potable

water:

You will need a sink and wash hand basin plus plumbing and drainage which will also require a building consent.

You may also require a consent for change of use and you may require a resurce consent if quarantine is not allowed in the zone you are in.

How did they get all those portaloos in Chch without consents?

I don't think they have wash hand basins or storage of potable water. There is also a clause which allows the local authority to exempt other things if they so wish. For instance they do not require a building consent for up to 6 metres of ring foundation to be replaced because of earthquake damage. In our case the foundation footing and pile footings have been increased from those in NZS 3604 and we needed a consent. Still haven't heard when they are going to do the repairs though. I understand there are 10000 founds to fix and they have done 2000.

UV required is 130 µWs/cm2 , so it is not a hobby UV. likely to cost over $2k. more than the tin shed.

that sounds like a little bit more sense, its quite heavy duty ill have to do some hunting and ask them about it when i see them but im sure i can find one and i can always get it in from America cheaper from some contacts there too

that sounds like a little bit more sense, its quite heavy duty ill have to do some hunting and ask them about it when i see them but im sure i can find one and i can always get it in from America cheaper from some contacts there too

You'll still be liable for duty and GST when it comes into NZ so might work out more expensive, just something to keep in mind.

You'll still be liable for duty and GST when it comes into NZ so might work out more expensive, just something to keep in mind.

i would worry on frieght delivery..they charge soo much!! like fish price are real cheap, but frieght are unbeliveable..

best to decide if its cheaper that 30%-60% from over sea then go for it right! :thup:

You would need lot of prefiltration. I used HTH cheap as chips.

What HTH stand for?

my planning was to treat water with 50ppm chlorine first then run it throught uv filter before it go down the drain!!

just another thought if i were to set up a quarantine tank, i would have bottom tank drilled and installed waste drainage and shut off ball valve for each tank discharging water straight into the treatment tank!!

come to think of replacing water each time fish are cleared!

You would need lot of prefiltration. I used HTH cheap as chips.

HTH the swimming pool filtration? i guess it does make sense because swimming pools do require level 2 sanitation

level 2 sanitation can be achieved by running the water much slower than the rated rate of the inline UV filters (so if you can prove the rate of water flow through the filter is slow enough to get that level of filtration there shouldn't be a problem an no need to spend 2k! :) )

Check with MPI. I used HTH which is high test hypochlorite which releases 80% chlorine and can be bought in tablets or powder.It is a very strong oxidizing agent and needs to be stored safely but you would only need a small amount. You put the water that comes with the fish in to a barrel and add a tablet and it gives way over 50ppm Cl2. Water from water changes went to a soak pit but the rules may be different in your case. There is a problem with drainage to the ground called salination where high sodium destroys the ability of the soil to soak up water. You would have to look at the type of soil you have at your place and if it is expansive clays or similar land drainage is not really an option. You would then need to find out what requirements the drainage authorities and MPI would want to discharge to the sewerage system.You have plenty of homework to do yet.

:thup:

Go to Manukau, Space Industries" they have granular form and liquid form chorine..

liquid form will fade away their properties if stores not correctly, and tablet are too nasty to store.. :facepalm:

for me i would look for some thing like high grade disinfectant effective in controlling a wide range of bacterium and fungi!

Ilwis, your quote it what i admired :thup: keep up your beliving man you can acomplish thing!