Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breeding Corydora Sterbai

Featured Replies

Hi all,

Has anyone bred these guys before. I have 4 of them for well over a year and i am thinking of giving them a crack in a separate breeding tank.

Has anyone got any tips on how to make these guys spawn? I have seen them get frisky in my main tank when the other corys are at it but no eggs and no "T" ing. I have read numerous posts on the net but i am wondering if there is anyone on here who has done it without them already breeding in their community tank. Also should the temp be discus temp i.e 80?

Also is it essential to have the tank lit with a tank light or will a normal lamp do? Does the amount of light into the aquarium make a difference to them breeding?

Any help or tips would make me very happy.

Thanks in advance :lol:

  • 3 weeks later...

Mine bred every couple of weeks every time there was a thunderstorm or big rain. So I would time my cold water changes with when the weather was about to turn.

My problem was raising them past a week old tho, got eggs no problem but eventually gave up on raising the fry :dunno:

  • Author
Mine bred every couple of weeks every time there was a thunderstorm or big rain. So I would time my cold water changes with when the weather was about to turn.

My problem was raising them past a week old tho, got eggs no problem but eventually gave up on raising the fry :dunno:

Thanks they must of heard me talking and I saw them breeding last week :happy2: . Managed to save 3 eggs from being eaten for a trial test hatch and 2 hatched. I was VERY happy. I have managed to kill one with shock by banging the floating pot when it slipped out my hand but the other is still going. AND then i cleaned the community tank they are in and have found another fry which looks like a Panda fry (yay!).

The one thing that shocked me the most is how sticky they were. My previous infertile pandas eggs were not that sticky.

Fingers crossed on the next breeding session i am going to try and collect as many as possible to have a go at raising a group.

Wish me luck! I guess i am going to need it! :D

  • Author
baby brineshrimp and infusoria is the key.

ooooh, I am using micro worms at the moment, When they next have a session i will get a BBS hatchery on the go.

Any tips on getting more infusoria into the pot?. It has a snail in to help. Should i pop in some liquifry 1 to try and help. It just seems like a big blob for 2 fry. Any thoughts?

Also i wonder if it was the Panda cories that have started a new egg batch ...eeeeekkkkk!! so excited.

best cultures I have got came from a bin I used to soak driftwood in with a bit of lawn clippings (clean and spray free) and 3 apple snails, pea soup was a understatement.

the key is balancing getting the water dirty enough for everything to start without being a hazard to your fry.

Whatever works for you. I only used infusoria for fish that are too small for brine shrimp or microworm (and that is real small if you use the smallest brineshrimp and baby microworms)

One of our club members used to say that their sterbai fry would do best in a tank with an apple snail and heaps of snail poo in it :sick:

One of our club members used to say that their sterbai fry would do best in a tank with an apple snail and heaps of snail poo in it :sick:

Makes sense tho.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

so after watching them and attempting to get to the eggs before the other fishies got them i decided to pop all my sterbai into a tank and now TODAY i have over 60 eggs and they are still going. :happy2:

So wish me luck people! :D

  • Author
Good luck. Did you remove the eggs or the adults?

yep, now sitting in a airated container inside one of my tanks with meth blue as a bit of antifungus help.

I hope that they hatch okay. fingers crossed. and then for the hard part........

yep, now sitting in a airated container inside one of my tanks with meth blue as a bit of antifungus help.

I hope that they hatch okay. fingers crossed. and then for the hard part........

Thats exactly what I done and alot hatched. Just keep an eye on the eggs and if any start to get fungus pull them out right away.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.