Fixing a leaky tank

Jaide

I phoned Port Nicholson and he'll do it for me for $100 - $150 maximum, includes travel etc. etc. too so I'm rapt! :happy1:

He's coming out Saturday morning to pick the tank up and said the fish will be fine in the bath until I pop them back in the the tank the following weekend so that's what I'll do.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the ones I will end up buying are 110L and have wheels - just not sure if I'll be able to fit them both in my car so may require two trips.

I was a bit paranoid about the bath idea...with no lids..... so the bins seem a perfect solution - and will be fab storage after :thup:

Update: guy from Port Nicholson glass (don't know his name, he never said) picked up the tank - was not impressed with shoddy lid job and will do it again for the same price which was very nice - he pointed out more flaws in the bracing and said what the other guy did won't hold and he explained what he will do to fix it.

He also said the tank was only braced along the bottom of one side and not the other so will also fix that - which explains the leak.

After everything I'll be spending on this tank, it would have been cheaper to have just had a new one made :roll:

Oh well, at least now I'll be safe in the knowledge that the tank will finally be set up and running once it's home - I just hope the fish don't get too stressed living in their bins for a week. One already tried to make an escape for freedom before I got the lid in place and has brained himself a few times since but seems to have finally settled down.

I asked for a quote a while ago to build a tank and it was going cost about $250 for a tank half the size of the one he's repairing.

Definitely worth fixing it rather than just smashing it and buying a new one. His prices are usually pretty good though, been years but I think his prices worked out to something like 1-2$/liter?

I'll just be glad to have the tank back that's properly fitted out so I will no longer worry about either fish jumping out (before lid was made) or coming home from work to find flood in the leaky stage - this tank has been quite stressful since I bought it :nilly:

Day #1 in the bins and no casualties so far.... :thup:

Update: my newly built tank has arrived back looking better than new. Peter said he had to replace the bottom glass as apparently that was cracked but didn't charge extra to do that which was very sweet of him :)

He's only just done the bracing for the lids so I won't fill up the tank until tomorrow (as he instructed) when the sealant should then be dry so it won't be another couple of days until the fish are in their tank again but so far they've last well - not a single casualty :)