September 4, 201214 yr Author comment_495685 I phoned Port Nicholson and he'll do it for me for $100 - $150 maximum, includes travel etc. etc. too so I'm rapt! :happy1: He's coming out Saturday morning to pick the tank up and said the fish will be fine in the bath until I pop them back in the the tank the following weekend so that's what I'll do. Report
September 4, 201214 yr comment_495688 Make sure the bath is 100pct free of any soap and cleaning product residue, If I were you I would still rather go with putting them in big storage bins. If your worried about the fish jumping out just put the lids on them and run an airstone for oxygen. Report
September 6, 201214 yr Author comment_495814 http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catal ... KU=1447184 Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495816 Yep - I'd go with plastic bins over the bath tub. In my house I have to clean the bath after our 4 kids have used it for the week...sure as hell wouldn't put any fish in there! Report
September 6, 201214 yr Author comment_495832 Actually, the ones I will end up buying are 110L and have wheels - just not sure if I'll be able to fit them both in my car so may require two trips. I was a bit paranoid about the bath idea...with no lids..... so the bins seem a perfect solution - and will be fab storage after :thup: Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495841 Probably not an issue but just check for food grade plastic. There should be a little molded sign on it. Report
September 6, 201214 yr Author comment_495856 I don't think they are, they're made by Perroplas of NZ and are storage bins - will that be a problem? Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495863 http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets You'll want to keep the fish in plastic containers that are food grade generally Report
September 6, 201214 yr Author comment_495864 I plan to clean out them out properly before use, and do daily water changes when the fish are in them - will that do? Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495884 I plan to clean out them out properly before use, and do daily water changes when the fish are in them - will that do? I wouldn't worry about it. It's not long term. Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495891 Many people used the larger 50 or more litre containers on wheels from Bunnings etc after the quakes down here with no problems. Report
September 8, 201214 yr Author comment_495997 Update: guy from Port Nicholson glass (don't know his name, he never said) picked up the tank - was not impressed with shoddy lid job and will do it again for the same price which was very nice - he pointed out more flaws in the bracing and said what the other guy did won't hold and he explained what he will do to fix it. He also said the tank was only braced along the bottom of one side and not the other so will also fix that - which explains the leak. After everything I'll be spending on this tank, it would have been cheaper to have just had a new one made :roll: Oh well, at least now I'll be safe in the knowledge that the tank will finally be set up and running once it's home - I just hope the fish don't get too stressed living in their bins for a week. One already tried to make an escape for freedom before I got the lid in place and has brained himself a few times since but seems to have finally settled down. Report
September 8, 201214 yr comment_495998 Good luck with the temp housing, I have had to move my 4 tanks recently and lost 2 fish after near 100% water changes and not so tight fitting lids. I hope you have better luck. Report
September 8, 201214 yr comment_495999 Update: guy from Port Nicholson glass (don't know his name, he never said)] Peter Williams ? Did you get a quote from him for a new tank? Report
September 8, 201214 yr Author comment_496002 I asked for a quote a while ago to build a tank and it was going cost about $250 for a tank half the size of the one he's repairing. Report
September 8, 201214 yr comment_496006 I asked for a quote a while ago to build a tank and it was going cost about $250 for a tank half the size of the one he's repairing. Definitely worth fixing it rather than just smashing it and buying a new one. His prices are usually pretty good though, been years but I think his prices worked out to something like 1-2$/liter? Report
September 8, 201214 yr Author comment_496009 Well I gave him all the pieces to build a new tank anyway so technically it's new, but with old glass :lol: Report
September 8, 201214 yr comment_496047 I have built and repaired many tanks and believe me, it would be ten times easier for him to build a new tank from scratch than to dismantle and rebuild this one. Many people just price themselves out of repairs to avoid them. He must be feeling sorry for you so good luck. Report
September 8, 201214 yr comment_496050 lol, too true, a couple of repair job's I helped with ended up being replacement jobs, we just told them we gave the glass a polish , it was way easier Report
September 9, 201214 yr Author comment_496076 I'll just be glad to have the tank back that's properly fitted out so I will no longer worry about either fish jumping out (before lid was made) or coming home from work to find flood in the leaky stage - this tank has been quite stressful since I bought it :nilly: Day #1 in the bins and no casualties so far.... :thup: Report
September 15, 201214 yr Author comment_496790 Update: my newly built tank has arrived back looking better than new. Peter said he had to replace the bottom glass as apparently that was cracked but didn't charge extra to do that which was very sweet of him He's only just done the bracing for the lids so I won't fill up the tank until tomorrow (as he instructed) when the sealant should then be dry so it won't be another couple of days until the fish are in their tank again but so far they've last well - not a single casualty Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.