AUCKLAND REEF CLUB

reef

Not that it affects me, but as soon as you hire a premesis it costs money, which it shouldn't. At the beginning there will be less than a dozen people, Janes fish club has over 20 attendants and they don't hire a place.

I susgest meeting at someones home. All the 'drama' aside, if you do a different location each time, on a roster. Another disadvantage of using a conference room/hall etc is there won't be any tanks there.

For me, I would not attend a meeting somewhere that I couldn't look at a tank. I would want to see other peoples tanks and setups, good place to start conversations and swap/sell frags/equipment.

My 2 cents, but like I said, I am not in Auckland.

Pies

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, no one wants to pay to hire a place. a bar as jss suggested is ok but if there were to be a swap session, a little difficult. there are so many places, but personally im not interested in turning up if i have to pay an "entry fee" to cover the venue costs.

they may do it for the bar takings....

I belong to quite a few other hobby clubs.... none meet at members homes.

I agree no one ever wants to pay for anything until they see value....

just a thought.

ok a free venue.......

I am trying to extract some guidelines here that everyone thinks will work (this may take time now, but will pay divis longer term)

Is someones place/home neutral enough for everyone...... I would not want anyone put off attending because of percieved bias, or past personal exchanges with the host :oops:

If at all possible I would like to see Steve/Nick/Alois attend all meetings if they wish. This is best for us all, they are very experienced reefers.

if steve/nick/alois/pies meet face to face more i think this forum would be a much nicer place!

As for layton/wasp.. I am not sure that would help.... no just kidding...

feelings get entrenched here, face to face only way to mellow things IMHO.

cool smilley chim.

Hi All,

Here is my once monthly post on this board :D

I will give any help to anyone who wants to set up the reef club, I have all the information and documentation on incorporating the society I also have enough signatures to incorporate the society.

I also have upto 100 email addresses of reefers in NZ so this is also available

I can pass this to Calvin and I provide all the help I can. My house is always open anyone wanting to see my reef and as a venue for a meeting is always available.

Calvin and RnB its over to you :bow:

Well I'm new to all this but have spent the $$$$ and are in for the long haul... I want to see peoples tanks and learn....

We are building in Bombay ... salt pool and all (any ideas?) but I look forward to my turn for the help of everyone at my house (when its built)

Oh yes Sundays please... I like Saturdays to much hic hic...

well I have just emailed Reef for details....

I guess the best way to do this is like any club would.

I will attend the Auckland Reef Club meeting and propose that

"The Auckland Reef Club and the NZMAS sp? merge, and that the club be incorporated as soon as possible."

I suggest everyone who is interested in this matter attend.

Reef - do I have your support to try and form one single club for auckland, where you, steve and nick will all be able to attend and sell direct if you wish.....

Personally I would be dissapointed to see a solely Auckland Reef club at this stage as I feel that there a lot of us throughout NZ

who would like to belong to a Marine type club but lack the numbers in our areas to make this viable. I have travelled to Auckland a couple of times to attend meetings which I found to be of good value and very informative, and therefore would support the Auckland members in their attempt to heal rifts and get a viable marine club up and going.

If you want to start a club go for for it but PLEASE consider the possibility of an NZMAS club.

This is not a slight on Auckland reef keepers or any others, just a thought which I hope will be of value to all reef keepers.

The Auckland Reef Club and the NZMAS sp? merge

The club that i set up 2-3 years ago was just a bi monthly meeting where we could meet hobbyist.

It never had any sales focus like the nzmas. If some hobbyists have got time to go and set up an Inc society then that is great, but going by my experience everyone is keen for a month then it slowly dies as these days everyone is busy. Especially if you have kids.

But I am just restarting the Auckland reef club in its original form where we just go and visit a tank and maybe have a Barbie and a few beers.

The club is not just for aucklanders. Its is just a name.

The date I set might be a problem as it is round the bays. so might look at another date.