Importation of Marine Fish

kinnadian

Excuse my blatant ignorance on the subject, I'm only repeating what a few marine shop keepers have told me.

But as I understand it, currently fish shops get overseas imports of fish rather than national imports. Due to this, fish shops:

- Aren't really able to dictate what fish they get, they generally get what they are given (to a certain extent).

- Receive quite infrequent shipments (the ones in ChCh are every 2-3 months as far as I'm aware)

- Have high costs associated with overseas shipments and long quarantines in MAF centres.

- Inconvenience customers who wish to purchase fish in the somewhat near future, rather than months ahead.

- Are regularly out of marine fish (as each shipment goes within about a week here in ChCh) which discourages newbies to the hobby? For example, they see a very sparse selection of marine fish and assume it is too hard or time consuming to get a good selection of livestock (which it sort of is).

Am I roughly correct so far?

Would it not make sense to have a national distributor of fish based in Auckland/New Plymouth who receive fish, quarantine them, and stores them until they are ordered by fish shops all throughout the country? So you could order fish as needed rather than having massive swells of livestock.

are you just trying to clarify things?

No, I was just wondering why no one does a centralized, national distribution chain. The reasons I listed were there to rationalize the idea of national distribution, I don't understand why no one's done it up until now I guess.

Would importers want to store a large range of fish just hoping some store will buy them to on-sell? Doesn't seem to make good business sense for the importers...

If a really large portion of the marine stores around NZ started using them because they could get whatever fish they wanted, when they wanted, then it would make great business sense. Unless you're actually referring to overseas exporters, and not national importers, in which case it entirely depends on what the overseas exporter wants. Exporting to a single (or 2) companies rather than trying to deal with the 30 or so current NZ marine stores makes things a lot easier.

No, I was just wondering why no one does a centralized, national distribution chain. The reasons I listed were there to rationalize the idea of national distribution, I don't understand why no one's done it up until now I guess.

If a really large portion of the marine stores around NZ started using them because they could get whatever fish they wanted, when they wanted, then it would make great business sense. Unless you're actually referring to overseas exporters, and not national importers, in which case it entirely depends on what the overseas exporter wants. Exporting to a single (or 2) companies rather than trying to deal with the 30 or so current NZ marine stores makes things a lot easier.

Not a bad idea. I have recently spent some time with a tropical marine fish exporter based in the Cook Islands, over beers we discussed NZ as a market for him, but due to smaller import numbers it just isnt viable, so if perhaps we had single distribution the required numbers could be met. Ill put up a video later this week showing some of his stock on hand, unfortunately it was just after he had sent out a shipment, and some deep water species on a dive

Not a bad idea. I have recently spent some time with a tropical marine fish exporter based in the Cook Islands, over beers we discussed NZ as a market for him, but due to smaller import numbers it just isnt viable, so if perhaps we had single distribution the required numbers could be met. Ill put up a video later this week showing some of his stock on hand, unfortunately it was just after he had sent out a shipment, and some deep water species on a dive

This is what I was alluding to in my reasoning. Currently overseas exporters have to deal with the 20 or 30 NZ marine shops sending individual orders and dealing with MAF for each one, and this is a complete hassle; most wouldn't bother I'd say and so you're extremely limited in both price and range. If there were one or two distribution companies for all of NZ, suddenly you're dealing with 10-20x the normal NZ order and this would be far more appealing to overseas exporters.

While I acknowledge there is a tremendous cost associated with the setup for housing hundreds of fish plus quarantine setups, surely the beneficial nature of the setup could be recouperated by the sheer volume of fish going through the place.

This is what I was alluding to in my reasoning. Currently overseas exporters have to deal with the 20 or 30 NZ marine shops sending individual orders and dealing with MAF for each one,

Hmm, my understanding is completely different. The marine shops don't order a thing from the exporters overseas themselves and there are only a handful of marine importers: redwood, jansens, Reef and a few others.

What right do we have to own the water---we do not look after it very well. Most of the rivers around here are not fit to swim in let alone drink the water. We are too busy exporting baby formula to china at any cost to waterways and convincing Asian mothers that breast feeding is not what they are for. It is better to feed their babies formula made with contaminated water. The newest method of birth control?

I have various reasons why I stopped importing marine fish and corals after only a few shipments.

There are 4 importers that still do marine. 3 who focus just on marine (aquaworld, aquanet, and wonderworld).

These guys stock their own shelves and/or supply fish around the country to other retail stores.

Having 4 or more players in the market will ensure it becomes more competitive in the future and make the hobby more affordable and increase the market size.

Seems given the requirements to import fish and the volumes sold the prices and variety available are actually pretty reasonable. People are constantly popping up and complaining about them saying, "I'd pay more for XXXX and YYYYY, we should do ZZZZ!" But as soon as someone says, "Ok, great, but we'll need to do this, and this and it will cost this..." Everyone stares at their feet, shuffles around a bit, "Maybe next month, I'm a bit short this week."

I guess Ira only a few people really know the answer to that question.

But your right people "I want, I want"... ops no cash. Even had someone text me on Christmas day wanting a fish, that's when I turned to my wife and said stuff this....