July 18, 201214 yr comment_490181 At the moment im keeping/breeding jaguar cichlids and I think they are awesome, but ive seen so many other cool fish id like to keep, I dont really want anything to common, malawi could be cool I reckon, basically im just asking what other people are keeping and what makes them a little bit better then any other fish in your own opinion :spop: Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490184 I breed/keep fighters because playing with their genetics is fun since each time you breed a fighter the result is either an improvement or decline on the quality of the parents and its fun setting goals and selectively breeding them to reach them :smln: Plus they are happy little fish who arent shy of people and like swimming into my hands :thup: Report
July 18, 201214 yr Author comment_490186 I breed/keep fighters because playing with their genetics is fun since each time you breed a fighter the result is either an improvement or decline on the quality of the parents and its fun setting goals and selectively breeding them to reach them :smln: Plus they are happy little fish who arent shy of people and like swimming into my hands :thup: oh yea, i like your point! i breed jags because i used to have a community tank with all sorts of different fish in it, it got boring so my goal was to breed, when the first spawning had come i was pretty stoked with myself (even though i really didnt do any of the work just raise temp, feed more) :thup: originally before i started breeding my jags my goal actually was to breed siamese fighters but at that time i couldnt get my hand on any females i only had my flourescent red male so i gave up Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490198 I've got a blue gourami, platinum gourami, swordtails, guppies (oh :facepalm: LOTS of guppies), LOTS of Ancistrus (brown BN and white BN), Kribensis (dark, not albino), and my fav, the Sailfin Pleco. Don't expect too many responses, many people who have brilliant fish can be worried of theft. My fish aren't expensive enough for me to be worried yet. Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490200 :sml1: I have never heard of fish being stolen :sml1: is there people that have been burgled for fish imagine the court pages lmao Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490204 I keep africans.plecos.guppies.etc lots of fish have been stolen from me and lost of others have had there fish taken too Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490206 I keep africans.plecos.guppies.etc lots of fish have been stolen from me and lost of others have had there fish taken too Wow thats quite low ae :an!gry Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490221 :sml1: I have never heard of fish being stolen :sml1: is there people that have been burgled for fish imagine the court pages lmao For many people not only have they had something of monetary value stolen, but also the time and effort they put into sourcing, keeping, raising and breeding the fish which are more often than not, very rare. Fish thieves, like all other thieves, are rats. Report
July 18, 201214 yr Author comment_490241 wow! when that guy first said fish getting stolen i thought it was a joke lol are these fish been stolen from people homes, what? crazy!!! Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490242 Ive had people break into my fish room and steals thousands worth of stock and gear.Also caught people trying to pinch stock right in front of me have to be very careful nowadays Report
July 18, 201214 yr Author comment_490245 WOW! that sucks!! had you been selling fish from your home? because those people obviously knew what you got, hope it doesnt happen to me, although i got a pretty good guard dog :thup: Report
July 18, 201214 yr comment_490261 I like dwarf cichlids myself, all the fun of the big ones without the problems Report
July 19, 201214 yr comment_490300 I think anybody caught stealing fish should be put through a wood chipper and feed to them....... Report
July 19, 201214 yr comment_490313 well lets see, what i have breed, gouramis,fighters, bristlenose ( albino,GBA, browm, long finned) gouppies ( fancys guppies, have a pure strain of albino snakskins and, nearly full reds) ,lyretail swords,platies, over 10 different types of cories, discus (have a pair breeding next to me as im typing :slfg: ) electric blue rams, angels, kribs,whiptails, apisto aggazzis, red spotted severums hmmmmm what else :slfg: , i always need to challenge my self hence the fancer fish, and creating pure strains of fish like guppies and swords Report
July 19, 201214 yr comment_490317 I keep the fish in my signature. I really like small fish, especially dwarf cichlids and tetras. I am not a fan of monster fish. Report
July 19, 201214 yr comment_490344 Neat topic! I have got really fond of all my fish. I love the way each betta boy swims straight up to me when I go near their tanks, their nosy personalities (forever having to shoo away a betta when my hand is in a tank) and their beautiful appearance. The betta girls are so graceful when they curve their bodies, so pretty and are also cheeky and nosy. The corydoras (pandas, peppered and pygmy) could win the synchronised swimming event in the Olympics and do fabulous line ups, staring solemnly at something I certainly can't see. Dwarf rasboras are so playful and full-speed surf the filter flow. The calico bristlenose female is like a bustling, busy houseproud cleaner and Uncle (the gold bristlenose) just looks so comical huffing around the tank or clinging to his courgette. Report
July 19, 201214 yr comment_490349 I only keep the ones that are alive, myself, the others tend to get smelly after a while.... :slfg: :digH: Report
July 19, 201214 yr Author comment_490423 it just means that the fish that are breeding have been carefully selected to make sure the fry arent inbred or born with deformaties(that how u spell it lol?) there is alot of different types of the same breed of fish like gourami, dwalf gourami, red tiger oscar ,red oscar gold oscar, albino oscar, u know what I mean Report
July 20, 201214 yr comment_490432 Currently breeding pure strains of blue black moscow guppies, green diamond, blue moscows, blonde snakeskins, albino snakeskins, common bristlenose and keeping hara hara catfish, scarlet badis, gertrudes blue eyes. Report
July 20, 201214 yr comment_490433 I define pure strain as selective breeding resulting in all offspring resembling the parents and or grandparents Report
July 20, 201214 yr comment_490434 I define pure strain as selective breeding resulting in all offspring resembling the parents and or grandparents Not even close and thats why is so hard to get "pure strains" of fish in NZ Report
July 20, 201214 yr comment_490444 Not trying to start an argument or anything, but how do you define a "pure strain"? Say guppies for instance, you can selectively breed to achieve, as I described, offspring that look like the parents and grandparents etc with same colours, body markings, shape etc. which is what I would describe as breeding pure (no random throwbacks etc) which is when the strain is "fixed" Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.