Shower Water Changer

peet

I have been using Tom Barrs Estimative Index (EI) on my new aquarium setup. This requires 25-50% water changes every 3 days for the first couple of months followed by weekly 50% water changes. I used to bucket water out of my small tank but that gets very painful in my 340L tank and makes a huge mess on the lounge floor much to my wifes disgust. I have developed the following method which makes the whole thing so easy and clean that its hardly a chore anymore.

The first thing to create a fitting between the hose pipe and shower pipe fitting at the wall. The parts were all obtained from Bunnings and from left to right are: 1.) Hose fitting with 19mm barb end 2.) 19mm clear vynl hose (temporary clamped on to hose fitting with cable tie until I buy another pipe clamp) 3.) Threaded shower fitting from the bathroom tap section at bunnings 4.) wrap thread with heaps of plumbers tape and slot into clear pipe with pipe clamp

P6180001.jpg

Unscrew your shower hose at the wall and screw on the new fitting.

P6170059.jpgP6170057.jpg

P6170058.jpg

Now plug in your hose. I used my digital thermometer to work out how far round the tap handle needed to turn to achieve 26 degrees at the tank and put a hidden mark on it. Now I can simply turn the tap to this position and know the exact temperature of water entering the tank.

To prevent the water jetting into the substrate I have constructed a diffuser from a bit of drilled pvc pipe with an end cap and some fittings I had left over from a previous reefing project. Basically its another tap connection. This setup spreads the water nice and even around the tank tank and keeps it from stirring up the gravel.

P6170056.jpg

I have used a washing machine anti-kink device to bend the hose into the tank. This works absolutely fantastic as you can confidently turn the tap on in the bathroom without the fear that the hose will jump out of the tank

P6170054.jpg

So my water change process is:

1.) Put the hose in the tank with the diffuser on the end

2.) undo the shower hose, screw on the fitting and attach the hose

3.) Turn on shower for about 10 - 20 seconds to charge the hose with water

4.) Turn off tap, takeoff hose and stick down shower drain

5.) Go to tank and takeoff diffuser and set to desired depth (e.g. 50% water removed). Sometimes I attach a gravel vac although I tend to find the suction not adequate with a 13mm hose so I rather gravel vac into a small wheelybin. I also wash my filter media and throw my plant trimmings in the wheelybin before tipping out over the lawn or veges.

6.) Once water is siphoned to desired level I replace diffuser, plug hose on to shower fitting and turn tap to desired temperature and let the tank fill.... JUST MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE WATER LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE WATER LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on, what kind of idiot would forget about that? Surely noone is that stupid, especially when the tank filling up is right next to the computer and sitting an arms length away the whole time... Takes forever for the carpet to dry :facepalm:

You can also get similar fittings to screw onto the kitchen tap.

Bunnings have a little kit in their tapware section called "sink tap click ons". A little box with all the bits to be able to hook your hose up to your shower.

In my case i just take the shower head off the hose and screw in one piece and plug the hose in. Sure the kit was only $15. Has about 10-15 fittngs, washers etc that you might need.

is there any risk of having issues with water from the HWC, they have copper elements don't they?

Copper is so expensive these days, any house younger than the 90's ( :dunno: im no plumber) probably hasn't had copper lines...

Also, the turn-over in the HWC would not be long enough for many (if any) Cu+ ions to come into solution, even if it was copper lined...

Oh come on, what kind of idiot would forget about that? Surely noone is that stupid, especially when the tank filling up is right next to the computer and sitting an arms length away the whole time... Takes forever for the carpet to dry :facepalm:

You can also get similar fittings to screw onto the kitchen tap.

Trying to quickly fill tanks before you head out the door to work, after just moving into the mother in laws (partner broke her ankle and needed the extra help) is also a recipe for disaster, especially when you turn the hose to what you thought was off, but really turned it up harder...

3 blowers, 2 dehumidifiers, and carpet-burned knees from grovelling later...

I don't think :facepalm: is quite enough....

is there any risk of having issues with water from the HWC, they have copper elements don't they?

Heating elements are never made of copper, and if they were the amount that would dissolve in the water is extremely negligable anyway. Most any water heater that's not pretty old use steel tank lined with glass or something similar.

I'm using the Marina Aquavac in my 1400 litre tank. I had to make up a fitting for the sink but it works well.

It takes 25 minutes to remove 20% of the wate from the tank. And less time to fill it again.

Marina-Aquavac-Suction-Pump-11046.jpg

It screws on and the black thing at the bottom pops up and down. While down it's sucking the water out of the tank. Using 16mm aquaone hosing it works well as a gravel cleaner even though it runs 30 metres through my office.

It's around $49 for the fitting as pictured - or you can buy the kit with gravel cleaner and a7.6m hose for around $110.

My process before was to use my hand pump gravel cleaner to put the water into a 80 litre rubbish bin - carry it through my office and pour it outside .. then use water cooler bottles .. which I would have to proportionally mix with hot and cold water ... would take around 2 hours to complete a water change of around 100 litres in my 270 litre tank. GRRRRRR.

I can't see you would spent much more .. I did consider a hose and fitting as above - but then I couldnt really use it as a gravel cleaner and also I like the idea of a clear pvc pipe so I can see what's coming out of the tank.

I converted from buckets to a hose to/from the kitchen sink about a year ago. Huge time saver! Can't believe I ever did buckets. While the water empties into the kitchen sink, i'm busy pruning, scrubbing, pruning, cutting, pruning etc. Connect the end up to the mixer tap and away ya go! Look Ma - no hands! :happy1:

I use a cannister filter outflow u-pipe with plastic guard on the end to prevent any curious fish getting sucked up while i'm not watching.

I add water conditioner to the tank just before filling up from the tap. I used to pre-condition water in a barrel, but the fish don't seem to mind the lazy method :D

Yeah im the same. Go through a bit of conditioner but its certainly faster. I know some dont use conditioner but id rather be safe than have a dodgy bit of town water kill me fish.

Yeah im the same. Go through a bit of conditioner but its certainly faster. I know some dont use conditioner but id rather be safe than have a dodgy bit of town water kill me fish.

After losing fish for the second time I now use conditioner. the second time was only a 40-50% water change, I have always done good 30-40% changes and not had issues till a few weeks ago

I was using a hose to empty the tank only until recently - I bought one of those tank empty/fill gadgets ages ago and put it somethere then forgot where I put it. Recently I found it and started using that to fill the tank as well. I only wish that I found it ages ago now....Buckets are ok for small tanks where you only need to remove 30L or so but anything over that starts to be a pain...

I don't think I have used water conditioner in the last 2 years. It seems I kill my fish when I put in too much flourish excel and flourish comprehensive :facepalm: