FURminator

Can anybody tell me if they have used one of these ??

I had to get my 13 yr old Black Lab Missy put to sleep on Easter weekend, she had Bone Cancer which had also spread to her lungs, so had no choice but to do the kind thing and send her off to Doggy Heaven &c:ry &c:ry Miss her teribbly, had her since she was 6 weeks old.

Have just got myself a 5yr old Samoyed named Casper, he is adorable, so loving and very well behaved :thup:

Just trying to work out what tools I need to groom him, Have just brought myself a Furminator, but I'm now thinking this is a cheap chinese import and not the orginal Furminator.

Does anyone have a Malamute, Samoyed, Japanese Spitz or similar, what do you us to groom them??

Lynda

Does anyone have a Malamute,

Just pull the clumps out by hand, which is probably most satisfying but she hates it. Or brush with this kind of thing:

Slicker%20brushes.jpg

Never tried a furminator, but it doesn't look like it would really work much better. Certainly not the magical 1 billion percent better they seem to claim. Just the regular dog brush gets clogged up completely after a couple brushes and it has far more brushing area.

I hear the furminators suck. For any breed with a thick double coat you need an undercoat rake, like these..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/grooming/auction-472678365.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/grooming/auction-472312597.htm

They're amazing, keep the top layer of fur nice and pull all the undercoat out through it, that's the stuff that comes out in clumps twice a year and goes everywhere. Easy and comfortable to use. Assuming you have a decent pet store where you are, go and try some out to find the perfect one for his coat, you'll want one for long coats specifically, with firm teeth, 2-5mm apart, thickening towards the base. The masterpet ones with over long teeth are crap, best ones have teeth around the 2-3cm length and sort of grippy on the fur. You'll know when you've found one because one sweep will get you a giant clumpf of fur :lol:

I had a long coat shepherd for years, who slept on my bed, so I had to find the best brush lol. Plus we have frequent foster dogs and find those brushes work equally well on most medium coats too.

I groom my Saint Bernard and my cat with a Furminator Linda, as well as all the cats in the cattery at work, It's an amazing device and I would suggest anyone try it.

I would also suggest brushing with the Furminator outside as it does remove a large amount of excess fur, it's not designed to catch and hold fur in it's bristles like the other brushes. It will hold a small amount of fur there but the majority of fur will build up on top of the coat and you can then remove it just by brushing your hand over the dog.

I only got the furminator because I got offered a 100% money back guarantee if it didn't do everything that they claimed it did, cause its quite a bit of coin for a 'brush'.

If it only came with someone to pick up all the fur then it would be the perfect tool.

It was the real thing and may be the best 'creature gizmo' that I have ever purchased.

Thanks for your replies guys and girls :hail:

I have bought three different Masterpet brushes, combs etc and dont have much luck with any of them :roll:

I had done some research on the net, and discovered the Furminator, went to the petshop here and got what I thought was the Furminator, guy in the pwtshop told me he imports them and sells them to some of the petshops around NZ.

After reading a few reviews about the Furminator, I'm now thinking I have a cheap chinese import :an!gry

I paid $45 for it.

Ira: I've tried the slicker brush you have pictured, but don't seem to get much hair out with that either.

Twinkles: These look like they might be worth while, might have to get one and try it :wink:

Joshlikesfish: I paid $45 for this Furminator, looking at the pics on google, it's slightly different to the Furminator's pictured on there, and my one is made in China, not sure where the other Furminators are made.

Phoenix: Casper is a 5 yr old Samoyed, so not a puppy, but by the way he acts you would think he still is :wink: he's a real sweetheart :love:

Thought about changing his name, not sure I'm liking Casper, obviously I would need to change it to something that sounds like Casper. Thought a new start in life for him, along with a new name would be good, I'm his 4th owner in 5 yrs.

Perhaps everyone i've heard from bought the imitation ones too, since there's a few votes for them here. If you get another one make sure you come back and report on how it went :)

My main dog these days is a big heading dog with a really short, smooth coat, but he still manages to leave an incredible amount of fur all over the place. And the beagle is even worse, tiny but thick coated and always grubby :-?

I just call it a second layer of carpet and appreciate the extra insulation.

Looks like they come in all sorts of different colours, my one doesn't have the Logo on it like this Furminator does, the logo on mine is simply printed into the plastic that holds onto the blade :roll:

If the one I have is not the genuine FURminator then I will be taking it back :an!gry

Lynda

This review which is posted on the FURminator website is what makes me think I don't have the genuine item:

“I made the mistake of purchasing a FURminator® tool from an unauthorized seller. I have a feeling that the counterfeit manufacturer has sold plenty of these imitation items to folks like me that listed them on eBay. In the meantime, I have had the opportunity to purchase one of the small FURminator deShedding Tools for my family dog, and to compare the real product to what I had purchased from China...there just was no comparison! Their imitation product is made to look similar, but absolutely does not function.

:roll: :an!gry

Find a reputable groomer that will be able to tell you exactly what you are looking for, for your own animal...

My neighbor/friend is a dog groomer and she said FURminator can be good when used properly, but is not necessarily the be-all-to-end-all that it is marketed as.

HTH :thup:

Cricketman: Definitely somethign for me to think about, thanks for that.

Casper is not keen on me using this on him at all, you can actually hear it running throught the hair, I'm not sure if this FURminator is actually cutting his hair or not :roll:

We have two norwegian forest cats. They have long fur and a double coat to boot. Helps them deal with the snow back in the old country.

Anyways, we got a furminator on trademe. Alot cheaper.

In my option it is way way way way way way way more effective than any of the so called brushes for long fur animals. We used to show our boy and had different brushes but they we useless compared to the furminator.

If you are still unsure, animates let you bring in your animals and try out the store furminator (well the wellington store does :sml2:). Thats what we did with our cats and then brought one on TM.

My two cents :D

Phoenix: Casper is a 5 yr old Samoyed, so not a puppy, but by the way he acts you would think he still is :wink: he's a real sweetheart :love:

Thought about changing his name, not sure I'm liking Casper, obviously I would need to change it to something that sounds like Casper. Thought a new start in life for him, along with a new name would be good, I'm his 4th owner in 5 yrs.

Awww why so many owners? Poor boy

Photos? :D

I have one I bought off trademe for my cat, it seems to work pretty at taking off loose fur, I always get a huge pile of fur after using it one her, only thing is that my cat hates it. She's fluffy but not a long furred cat though, so I don't know if it'll be effective for a dog like yours

• 2 weeks later...

Loving my new boy, he's such a sweetheart.

Karina: Apparently the reason he has had so many owners is:

Breeder I got Casper off sold him to a young couple in Wellington, few yrs later they started a family and didn't have time for him, Breeder then found Casper another home with a coupe in Paraparaumu, Husband loved him Mother wasn't to sure , mother was home with 3 young kids, said Casper was to bouncy, was pinching the kids biscuits, poking his nose in the fridge when it was open and putting his nose in the coffee cups so he was sent off to be rehomed again. Man from Matamata apparently loved him meet the breeder in Sanson to pick Casper up, not sure as to why they didn't work out.

I really don't understand it, Casper is so loving and obedient and such a clever boy, he Heel's, goes down, rolls over, speaks, shakes hands, claps his paws together, goes back, brings, drops, he continues to surprise me everyday.

All I can say is I'm thankfull to these people for giving Casper up, now we are together and get to enjoy each other, I absolutely Love him to bits.

Casper comes to work with me everyday now, my customers cant resist but to give him a big bear hug, they all find him so adorable and he loves all the attention.