Thinking about donating blood.

Squirt

Hi all,

A talk today in assembly about donating blood got me thinking about it. So me and a mate are thinking about donating it (most likely will).

Is there anything I should be doing (or not taking) before the blood donation people come to school next week?

:nilly:

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do sometimes take antihistamines, plus I'm supposed to be taking regular doxycyclin (for pimples). But on the website it says like 1 week before donating. So if I took my last antihistamine and Doxy yesterday should I be good to go? I don't see much else that applies to me. I'm 16 and over 50kg.

http://www.nzblood.co.nz/Give-blood/Donating/Detailed-eligibility-criteria

They usually have a check list of things that would make you ineligible for donating blood.

From memory anitbiotic usage, you can't have a cold, flu, infection etc.

If you have a tattoo there is like a 6 month stand down.

Can't have lived in the major mad cow countries between 1980 and 96?

Can't donate if you have sex with a same sex partner / whatever - 5 year stand down?

They usually have a check list of things that would make you ineligible for donating blood.

From memory anitbiotic usage, you can't have a cold, flu, infection etc.

If you have a tattoo there is like a 6 month stand down.

Can't have lived in the major mad cow countries between 1980 and 96?

Can't donate if you have sex with a same sex partner / whatever - 5 year stand down?

Hmm I may go talk to them about that. It does say a week on their website

Fit and healthy

No tattoos... Yet. :P

Never been to Europe... Yet. :P

N/A :wink:

Iam remembering when i was at school..i pop my head out of the class room and ask this fat chick walking pass by.

"Donna,What you up to?

she reply "I just donate 2liter of blood!!

time to time that memory pop up on my head.. :nilly:

but at that time i belive she did donate 2ltr of her blood.. :slfg:

I don't handle having blood taken to well either :-?

I sought of think about my Nan, who had a blood transfusion before she passed away 3 yrs ago &c:ry

Unforunately Nan didn't make it &c:ry but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that need a transfusion and it save's their lives.

So I will just have to toughen up won't I :roll:

How long does it take to give blood.

Just answer all the questions they ask you honestly. Good on you mate, blood is always needed and not nearly enough people donate.

+1 All the questions they ask are for very good reasons.

Can't donate if you've had a body piercings within 6 months. They also do a little fingerprick test to make sure your blood levels are okay before donating. Don't want to take blood off someone who's a little low on blood themselves.

By the way, anybody who donates is totally awesome, besides saving lives (it sounds a little cheesy, but totally true), I have a fulltime job thanks to you guys :love:

I don't handle having blood taken to well either :-?

I sought of think about my Nan, who had a blood transfusion before she passed away 3 yrs ago &c:ry

Unforunately Nan didn't make it &c:ry but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that need a transfusion and it save's their lives.

So I will just have to toughen up won't I :roll:

The actual blood taking part can't take any longer than 15 mins. Before hand, you have to fill out a bunch of questions, and then you go over them with one of them. Afterwards, they want you to sit around a bit, eat/drink something, to make sure you're okay and aren't going to faint.

It takes 1/2 hr to an hour and like 10 minutes to take the blood I think then they observe you while resting.

Sorry to hear about your nan by the way.

@Adrienne, The bigger you are the more blood you have, so the more you can donate is what I've been told. But they must have some kind of limit.

I'm a little but scared about this needle though. "apparently" some people have missed and had to get it put in several times to hit the vein :sick:

Every thing you need to know is on their website http://www.nzblood.co.nz/

It is quick and easy and everyone is very nice to you and thank you a lot for donating.

I am a blood donor but have had to stand down for 6 months after my surgery.

You can sit or lie down, whichever is most comfortable for you. They give you nice drinks and biscuits afterwards. :love:

Good on you!

The first time you do it is the hardest, then you know what to expect so it becomes easy.

Really it doesn't hurt. If you expect it to hurt, then it will. If you relax and think of what an awesome thing you are doing for your community then it doesn't (much).

:hail: