Who's a looker then?

alanmin4304

Now would be a good time to start breeding mealworms, locusts, crickets, slaters and any other live critters you can get hold of.

Way ahead of you ;) :thup:

Have a large tanks of locust (which hopefully should be laying this week) and a mealworm colony all on the go, as well as large trays full of greens all growing away indoors too :D

Both with wheat bran that's laced with spirulina so they build up astaxanthin in their flesh along with other nutrients, good for my lizard and it's colouration :)

Y ou are on to it. I have never added astaxanthin to their diet. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Personally haven't used before now, but have heard of others doing so, is supposed to help improve overall coloration of them (astaxanthin is what makes cooked shellfish orange and salmon meat pink) as well as it being an antioxidant so generally good for the system.

Spirulina is also full of lots and lots of other vitamins and minerals that are good for them, eg Vitamins D ,C, E, beta-carotene, zinc, iron, calcium.

Which I would expect to stick around in a gutloaded locust.

You would need to be careful of giving too much of the fat soluble vitamins as they cannot be easily excreted like the water solubles (Vit C etc.)

Doubt very much there would be enough intake to cause any overdoses of vitamins from it. Probably could be worth lowering overall the amount of multivitamin powder/spray given to the lizard each week if your worried.