Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

photos still coming BUT the new tank is in, and I caught at least another 10 fry in the process. Makes me happy seeing them zipping around in their own bit of tank instead of imprisoned in a box.

Part 2 is rescaping their old planted tank so I can continue to use it for growing them out. So much fishy work to do... :cofn:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest fry are always out. In the planted tank I had quite a big group of adults and they were always out. There were usually a couple of fat females or the alpha male hiding under the filter but at dinner time they would come out to feed at the back of the group. In the breeding tank there are only 2 fish so they are very shy, sometimes I only see one dart past for a week or more and then I go disturbing all the plants to make sure the other one hasn't died and is rotting somewhere.

They seem to like a bit of free swimming room and some hiding places, if they were in a tank full of moss from top to bottom I don't think they would come out much.

Decided to move aside the plants in the killie fry tank to see how many were hiding as I never see that many of them out and about. I found only 3 left from 23 :o

I checked all the water parameters and found ammonia was higher than I've ever seen, up to 50ppm. So I fished out the last 3 into some other tank's water, did a 75% water change, added some extra Prime and put the fish back in.

It's a bit of a puzzle why the ammonia was so high because I felt that I was underfeeding them rather than over, and I can't think of anything else immediately obvious that I did wrong. So I've put the cause down to involuntary ignorance &c:ry

I wondered about that but they were so little I thought it couldn't be.

pH was about 7 and it is a sponge filter so nowhere for them to go, and the substrate was fine gravel on one side, bare tank on the other.

I'll keep checking the ammonia and making sure I don't feed them too much.

My husband thought that microworms might cause it, because of the rotting porridge, but I've only been scraping them off the sides, not taking them from the base.

• 2 weeks later...

Middle tank on the shelf is now empty - the 3 remaining killifish were moved inside to the planted tank and my husband has been siliconing in a divider like tank 3.

So soon I will have the breeding tank and a fry raising tank for the CPDs. I managed to catch about another 5 fry from the mulm from the bottom of the adult tank last water change so I'm pretty sure I have over 20 fry now. I was very tempted to get more CPDs at HFF on Sat but I know I wouldn't have enough room for all the fry, and I'm doing pretty well with only 1 pair.

8)

Tank in the middle of the shelf (Tank 2) now has a sponge & perspex divider like the newest tank (Tank 3). There is a load of new moss courtesy of Squirt :hail:

Today I moved the 8 biggest fry from Tank 3 into a section of Tank 2, and then sucked up some mulm from the adult side of Tank 3 and plopped that over the divider so any eggs or hatchlings can be away from their parent's chomping teeth.

• 1 month later...

So today's news is that I've moved 11 fry into the house planted tank with their 2 older siblings.

There were 6 or 7 left out of the original 8 and some of the other small ones had some fatties so I thought I'd set them all free in the display tank.

There are about 6 smaller fry left.

Will be moving house in a couple of weeks so will catch some more wrigglers to grow out after that.

My biggest kille is now quite bossy, she shunts anyone else around except the gourami so I've taken her out of the minifish tank and put her in the garage for some time out. The other 2 killies are doing ok, will probably come out a bit more now that Bossy has gone. :roll:

• 1 month later...

Boring update:

Moved house about a month ago now.

Current breeding progamme: Same pair of CPDs - have done 2 mulm saves since moving and so far no fry.

Also have had a pair of mature peppered cories in a breeding tank fattening them up. They seem to enjoy that life, looks like they could eat and eat if I let them.

The cories must have heard me typing about them last night. Today I came home from work early and found them shimmering about spawning. I saved about 10 eggs, not sure if they have plans for more. I've put the eggs in a net over a bubble stone in the next compartment so I can keep an eye on them.

It's only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen them breed.

She laid some on the tank glass near the filter, some straight on the bottom of the tank, some on a leaf up the side. Since they seem to be acting predictably I will see if I can put a big leaf in there for next time.

Would be cool to get some fry this time.

After complaining about no CPD fry lately. I saw one on Sunday.

I have a saying about these fry, or maybe it's any fry that live in moss tanks: Where is there 1 there is usually 2, and where there are 2 there are usually 5. And today I have counted 3!

:bounce: