Sophia's minifish breeding log - vid update p12

Sophia

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found 6 more cory eggs tonight, moved them straight to the breeding box - managed to stick them to the side so I can watch them. I had put a plastic plant in there for them to be laid on, they laid them on the glass and tank bottom again. The plant felt all slimey, not sure if that's a good thing or not so I've removed it and left it to soak in water.

2 eggs got fungus and they laid 9 more this afternoon while I was milling around.

Soon I will have to put them back in the main tank or there will be more fry to raise than I have room for.

The male fusses over the eggs like he's trying to eat them. He snuffles and worries over them. Is he just inspecting or is he trying to eat them?

• 3 weeks later...

This evening's update:

All my breeding compartments are now full of life.

There is about 10 peppered cory fry. It's hard to tell as they blend in with the gravel. They're growing quite fast compared to minifish.

There are at least 10 CPD fry from the last batch of mulm/moss growing out, and I've just done another mulm/moss save. There are probably 20+ in the community tank growing out now. A few are possible to sex, the rest are just little spotty fish for a bit longer.

:thup:

• 1 month later...

Today's update: peppered cory young are down to 3 after a mystery ailment dropped 5 of them for apparently no reason last week.

CPDs are thriving, some are big enough to sell (see P T & E section) .

Last Friday I set up a small brine shrimp jar and they've just hatched so I'm enjoying playing with the bugs and feeding them to the fish. They all get full orange bellies :love:

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry, if I am busy I do tend to hit straight to the point.

You could send Caserole a pm, I am sure he will answer. I thought he was more into other species :)

Lots of people seem to be keen to breed them but rarely do you hear of anyone actually doing so, and getting them to survive. Likewise you could send Sophia a pm, she was pretty dedicated in getting them to breed so she might be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...