What am I?

Tracey

Looks like a nz sheetweb spider, the males wander around looking for females in the spring. Very shy quiet spiders but can run like bejesus if you disturb them. Have MASSIVE fangs, but no recorded bites as they usually stick to their webs. I wouldn't push your luck tho, you wouldn't want to be the first person to find out a) how much that bite hurts with 4-5mm fangs or b) how necrotising that venom is

We have had quite a few around our house over the years, have never ever had one flare and show me its fangs. We tend to catch and rehome tho, not in the habit of poking them first :sml2:

Think they might be nz largest native spider? could be wrong tho

http://sciblogs.co.nz/chthonic-wildlife-ramblings/tag/spider/

scroll down, Cambridgea foliata - nice closeup photo for you.

The 4yo found the slater eating spider (Dysdera crocata) today in my woodpile and wondered what it was, so this link helped me out too! That one had massive fangs and wickely red legs - very bizarre looking. And 6 eyes interestingly!

http://sciblogs.co.nz/chthonic-wildlife-ramblings/tag/spider/

scroll down, Cambridgea foliata - nice closeup photo for you.

The 4yo found the slater eating spider (Dysdera crocata) today in my woodpile and wondered what it was, so this link helped me out too! That one had massive fangs and wickely red legs - very bizarre looking. And 6 eyes interestingly!

Those are great photos!

Thanks guys :thup: I can assure you, there will be no poking with either stick or fingers. I love bugs, 6 or 8 legged, even the large Vagrant Spiders we used to get at our old place, but seeing these ones gave me a taste of what an arachniphobe must feel. So they will stay in the woodshed and I will stay on the paths and we'll all get along just fine :D