My First FOWLR Tank

the-obstacle

and so it begins...

img7774mu.jpg

img7776p.jpg

I had to throw the extra rubble and the big bit of left over rock in to cycle so it doesn't look quite as good at the moment.

img7779c.jpg

For the next few weeks it'll look like a black blob on a table as it's currently wrapped in a black rubbish bag to keep the light out for the cycle. Exciting times!

I've got enough rock and new buckets to make a sweet diy turf scrubber too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, good point!

There's a beginners guide on nano-reef.com that mentions hermit crabs, in the US of course, that spend their time cleaning the sand a grain at a time. I'm not sure if we can get tropical hermits here but I haven't read anything else that manages to clean like they do. edit: it seems you can get tropical hermits here.

I'm planning to go crushed coral/shell sand to increase the amount of bio filtration. Never going to be adding silica to the marine tank.

Looks like hermit crabs may be available from http://www.coralreef.co.nz/ soon. Hoping to get ablue one myself. :happy2:

Just did the first parameter test on the tank water and WOW! I have never seen those colours come out of my test kit.

Ammonia - 2ppm

Nitrite - 1ppm

Nitrate - 20ppm

pH - 8.2

I'm assuming this is normal for early on in the cycle. If anybody has any suggestions on what i should change let me know otherwise I'm'a-leave-it-alone.

I bought an aquaone hydrometer/thermometer to make sure I keep the salinity the same throughout the cycle by adding pure dew top ups. It seems I've added a lot more water than was in there originally as the water level is up to the black rim now vs. what it started at. Is that to be expected? I would have thought the goal would be to keep the water level the same. Maybe I should try the hydrometer on the bucket of NSW that has had the lid on it for a week or so and compare. Should I do a NSW water change to reset everything?

Current water results show ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all through the roof. I'm hoping the ammonia starts to drop soon but I'm expecting to wait a few more weeks for that.

I have built an algae turf scrubber in a 30L sump to give it a go but need to get a return pump to finish it off. That one's going to have to wait until pay day.

using a deep layer of sand in the sump?

Wasn't planning to but now that you mention it I'll see if there's enough room. I'll be putting as much live rock/rubble in there as possible. Actually, since deciding this afternoon to add the sump it has freed me up to try many different options. In theory the algae scrubber and live rock should remove all the nitrates but a dsb wouldn't hurt as a backup. I have an el-cheapo aqua one skimmer here too but apparently they're a nightmare to get working well so I'll leave that out to start with.

i run DSB on all my marines now

That's good to know. I'm just not sure I have the footprint for it in the current sump or the cabinet it's going in. I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

Like the algae scrubber I really like the idea of the dsb as it's just doing stuff that happens in the wild.