My First FOWLR Tank

the-obstacle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so drilling is all back on. First I have to find somewhere to buy relatively small tank fittings and the appropriate pieces to connect to and from the sump then I can get the right drill bit etc.

Any tips on where to look? I've been to all the usual hardware stores and plumbing world in henderson but none of them seem to have proper tank fittings other than 50mm+ water tank fittings which is way over the top.

Hoping to be ready to drill / plumb on the weekend then the tank will go into it's permanent position in the lounge and I'll be rocking.

flippity flop! Not drilling. The cabinet I was planning to use as a stand doesn't have enough room for the sump so this is going to be live rock only. If I run into issues I've already got a HOB skimmer in mind which should keep it under control.

I got some live rock the other day which is really live - amazing how it blitzes ammonia/nitrite. I've got it in a seperate tank so as not to crash it with the other rock that's still cycling and I added a couple of spoon fulls of the cycling tank water (mid level ammonia, heaps of nitrite, some nitrate) and tested the water before adding dirty water, straight after and 2 hours after. Before adding water the live rock water was 0,0,5(ish), straight after adding dirty water was 3-5,10+,5 then 2 hours later 0,0,10-15. I'm truely amazed at how well live rock works.

I'll be keeping a small amount alive for as long as I can in what was going to be the sump as I'd like to have a hospital tank/quarantine ready just in case something happens in the nano as apparently when it happens it happens super fast on that scale.

I fear this is the beginning of a whole new addiction. :roll:

Hi Obstacle

just wondering, when you mention "dew" water used for water changes...is that the stuff labeled as "Pure Dew" from the supermarket? Basically, I'm wondering if that would be a reasonable source of water for a marine tank as opposed to RO/DI water?

Just wondering...I don't think I'm going to try a marine tank. Am I? No, don't do it.

Thanks....

Actually, that's a really good point. If you've got access to NSW like that you should totally give it a go. Well, that is if you hadn't sold/given your tank away :D I'd say don't go any bigger than 50-80 litres max so you can do significant water changes without having to lug too many buckets from the waters edge.

Actually, that's a really good point. If you've got access to NSW like that you should totally give it a go. Well, that is if you hadn't sold/given your tank away :D I'd say don't go any bigger than 50-80 litres max so you can do significant water changes without having to lug too many buckets from the waters edge.

A noob marine question:

How often and how much water change is recommended if using NSW?