the big boys arrive! New discus

Nymox

I just have to share as I am so happy. I just picked up 4 discus. 2 of the biggest boys I have ever seen too. I will post some pics when they have settled down as these just don't show the size well enough. A big thanks to k1w1y2k for making my day!

DSCF3367.jpg

You should see mine clean up swarms of daphnia no problems, they hit guppy fry, mozzie larvae just as much as any other fish with a similar sized mouth. I love watching their eyes focusing on the food just in front of their mouths very funny to watch. These are the parents of all your fish out there bred by k1w1y2k, they have come to retire in a community tank.

Pics to come later, hold your horses. Everything has settled well except for the big orange one, lost the plot a bit and smacked himself up. He needs quiet time so I don't want to go poking camera's at them at this stage.

Now to start saving for me 100 cardinal tetra !drool:

I've had to shut down everything to one tank, if I am having one tank it is going to be a real goodie. Largest I can manage with my back lol. There will be an article about it all in AW magazine at some stage, next one if I finish in time :) Discus/Cardinal/Sterbai cory large schools (well as large as I can afford) and sword plants with a touch of stargrass. Need to build the sump still as I am wanting to add an auto water changer to give myself more freedom to enjoy my tank.

yup they certainly would, even port hoplo get a hard time. The ornates down at nature place killed 2 when I had them, and they are slowly working on the 3rd, not a small hoplo either, even their heavy armour gives in after a while poor things, ornates are meanies hah.

There will be an article about it all in AW magazine at some stage, next one if I finish in time :)

:love:

It doesn't matter when the article arrives as it can just go into whichever magazine I have currently on the go at the time :bow:

AAAh I need some advice.

Everything has settled in well except for Massive Mr Orange.

I acclimated them over 5 hours, longest I have ever done but I really wanted to be sure that these guys went in well without a hitch.

I am on the same water system as where they came from. but I have a different pH as I run coral sand in my filter and lots of driftwood. 7.0 is the tap water pH mine is 6.5.

So on adding the first 2 fish everything went fine, they joined the other discus and immediately started the shimmy shim. Then I added a snakeskin female and she went berserk for 5 mins, smashing into everything before settling down and joining the others. I waited a while longer, added some more tank water to his bucket and added Big Mr Orange, he immediately flipped out and smashed into everything, shooting for the surface having a gulp then flying around crazy smashing into the sides. Eventually he settled on his side on the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. I did a 10% water change and blacked the tank out. I went to check on him later and he wasn't breathing at all. I pulled him out of the tank into a bucket of tank water, and started flushing water through his gills using a syringe, I spent most of the early hours of thursday morning doing this till eventually I got him breathing on his own. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank ever since, breathing on his own still but hes not happy. The tank is still blacked out and I am doing 2 10% water changes a day very slowly. This morning he looks to have managed to get off the bottom a bit, but hes hardly in good condition. I am hoping this will pass with time? Every other fish in the tank seems very happy so I have no reason to assume it water quality, I would say its more the fact that he bashed himself in the head a few times.

Any advice would be great, I think time will tell but just in case there is something I could be doing I would like to know about it.

Leave him be in the tank when he settles down and breathes heavily.

he'll get used to the tank. Putting him in a bucket and stressing him out even more isn't going to do him ant favours.

My discus will occasionally freak and hit the gravel but given time they are back to normal.

You know what its like when ya feeling really sick and ya have people fussing over you asking can i do this can i do that when all you really want is to be left alone to rest? i suspect that's what Mr Discus wants just time left to be to acclimatise and settle in and all the fussy may just be stressing him more? My big ones done the same thing when i got them but all eventually settled in.

Only reason I put him in the bucket is I thought he was dead, no sign of life for about 40 mins on him. It took about 3 1/2 hours of pumping water through his gills to get him breathing on his own again, I thought it was worth a shot since he wasn't moving at all, and it seems to have paid off. Ordinarily when I add new fish I don't go near the tank for 2 days, but I have covered it all with news paper and just left a peep hole to keep an eye on him. He seems to have had a try at swimming since my last post, ended up on his side but at least he's trying now. The lack of oxygen when he stopped breathing for so long could have lead to brain damage though, as well as the hard smacks on the glass.

I will leave it black out till tomorrow but then the other fish will be getting hungry, I already had to feed the corydora because they found him on the bottom and the slime coating was too hard to resist.