Turtle rescue

DonnaM

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Another earthquake refugee who arrived in March. He wasnt in a good way and didn't make it. :(

EarthquakeFeb2011866.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011849.jpg

Two patches in the area around a back leg had the appearance of being ulcerated underneath. When I started debriding the gunk it was not a pretty sight.

EarthquakeFeb2011848.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011851.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011850.jpg

The two holes went straight through the shell. One was very small, the other a reasonable size.

EarthquakeFeb2011854.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011858.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011857.jpg

We may have been able to save him if it was just the two holes, but unfortuantely there were ulcers tracking down sideways and deep into the bone.

EarthquakeFeb2011855.jpg

Was hard to get a decent pic with my 'point and shoot' camera.

After the boy owner and his Dad had said their good-byes he went to the vet and it was best to euthanase him :tears:

His tank buddy (who had caused the neck injury) was fine, but will now live on his own as he is a typical territorial male who will fight another turtle in his tank.

The ulcers appear to have been caused by rocks in his tank which would have set up a tiny scratch and the bacteria filled water has then set up the ulcers. These have slowly eaten through the bone and penetrated deep inside the turtle. In the past we've tried to save these turtles, but even with the wound healing up, generally it doesnt make it. Autopsys show the internal infections are the eventual cause of death.

Hi Donna, Sad to see the state of some of these turtles :(

I believe I visited you awhile ago about making some changes to my turtles tank.

Anyway, my turtle who is about 7 years old seems to be nice and healthy

(Eating plenty of greens, a little bit of meat and a little bit of fish, Active, never been lethargic, nice green shell etc)

Although a couple of weeks ago, I noticed his skin (not his scales) have little bits flaking off. Not visible out of the water, he seems to be fine and not bothered, but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks for the good work you do, Its nice to know that there are people who care about animals as much as you do :)

• 1 month later...

Another case of neglect. Apparently her tank mate died recently. Not sure if this one will make it either. Have had several euthanased recently as just too septic before getting here. This ones not pink at all, but pretty slim chance of survival. See how concave her plastron is? Shes very thin, calcium/vitamin deficient and no doubt pneumonia...though I didnt get an x.ray done this time. :tears:

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct011.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct008.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct015.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct014.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct012.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct003-1.jpg

2011snakenecksnewsickturtlesOct004.jpg

I'd only just returned with Pisces from the vet yesterday when I got a call about a turtle found washed up from the flooded Avon river. The person who found her thought it was an empty shell. Its a juvenile snakeneck...soooo thin! She had baby snails, seed pods and twigs jammed into her limb pockets which were a bit tricky to remove. She was not moving...but she can DEFINATELY musk! :sml1: (I say she...but who knows! :roll: ) The Avon river is basically a sewer thanks to the quakes, so goodness knows what shes been surviving on? She has bacterial infections of the skin and skin is torn off around the feet/toes. In the shallow tank, she just floats and at times moves her head. Occaisional attempts to move limbs and swim a little.

She had a vet visit today and x.ray revealed minor pneumonia. If the pneumonia was too bad I'd have had her euthanased. The vet thought she was still too far gone due to the skin and ulcers in her mouth...but I suggested giving her a week to see if she will improve or not. The people that found her would be keen to rehome her if she survives. She did attempt to eat today...but was too weak to connect with the food. Hopefully the injections at the vet will stimulate her appetite and build strength. So now theres 3 boxes lined up on the lounge floor with sick turtles being dry docked, medicated and having antibiotic baths etc etc. :roll:

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA003.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA020-1.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA036.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA034.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA011.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA017.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA012.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA006.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA037.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA029.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA030.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA023.jpg

2011SPCAsnakeneckIDAVA015.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ava (snakeneck) didnt make it &c:ry and Pisces has now had 2 x tube feeds and 3 lots of ADE injections at the vet and is on daily Baytril. Eyes are still mainly closed and there's a thick creamy film over the eye balls when she does open them slightly. NO interest in eating, but certainly has alot more energy then when she first arrived....over 4 wks ago....if she doesnt improve over next week I'll have to get an x.ray to check whats happening with the pneumonia. Sad thing is, this was all caused by human neglect and ignorance. :facepalm: Glass lids on turtle tanks are really a disaster!

2011PiscesPondsNewCashelstMallChristmasatBallantynes020.jpg

The thick creamy stuff is seperate to the third eye-lid that is also partially over the eyeballs. If you look at the base of her right eye (left in pic) you can see a tiny whitish patch. This stuff covers the eyeballs. As she rubs and rubs her eyes, some of this becomes dislodged...like thick 'sleep' in the corner of your eye.

But each day it is back again. She has only started to open her right eye for the first time a couple of days ago, so the thick stuff is quite hard...must be very irritating on the eye ball.

• 1 month later...

Some updates.

Sadly another male that didnt make it. He came out of hibernation in a bad way and was euthanazed.

2011pondsRehomedandsickturtlesOctober047.jpg2011pondsRehomedandsickturtlesOctober042.jpg

2011FundraisingCBDBUSTOURPisceseyesopening001.jpg2011FundraisingCBDBUSTOURPisceseyesopening005.jpg

Fundraising stall at the local primary school. The turtles were very popular. :thup: Don't know how many people started to talk...then stop and go..."Oh thats you! You're the turtle lady from the newspaper." or "I saw you on TV on the SPCA earthquake programme...you made me cry!" :tears:

2011pondsRehomedandsickturtlesOctober018.jpg2011pondsRehomedandsickturtlesOctober004.jpg

Friends have created "Turtle Sanctuary" and take on my "overflow" female turtles when I have too many here. Its a beuatiful 10 x 15m pond made from dam liner with an island in the middle. There's curently about 30 turtles out there and 58 turtles here!!! :facepalm: Tybar (Friends Border Collie) made the most of the turtles all being contained in a shelter while we did post winter checks and weights etc. He loved splashing around and checking out the island!

2012050112TanksandPonds032.jpg

2012050112TanksandPonds007.jpg

Boys pond area. I still need to get a fence sorted between these two ponds. Its a nice sunny spot to eat breakfast or lunch :)

2012050112TanksandPonds005.jpg

2012050112TanksandPonds006.jpg

The latest bout of earthquakes means needing to try and reduce the 14 large tanks I was running in the house. So I've set up temporary ponds on the drive....don't think I'll get the car parked IN the garage for a year or two at this rate! Only 7 tanks inside at the moment and 2 empty ones in the conservatory ready to be filled when more refugee turtles arrive. Oh, plus there's a 5 ft turtle and 5ft fish tank running in the garage. :roll: