Turtle rescue

DonnaM

Owner had beautiful fish in tanks and bred dogs...but relied on advice that wasnt helpful and nearly cost Minnie her (his) life. Suffered from terrible metabolic bone disease from lack of calcium and was attacked by tiny tank mate.

Sad of the shop, but also very sad of the owner to not do their own research and take responsibility for it.

Crazy how many people have substrate and no basking light (that could be emphasised more by pet shops). No subtrate save's $, time cleaning and is no risk to the turtle. Basking lights arnt expensive, especially replacement bulbs so no reason not to have one.

I gave up on telling people on tm that the old fruit salad pebbles is not the best diet for thier turtles :facepalm:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The info in a brochure at the local pet store is pretty good - outlining what a turtle basically needs. (Although, there are a few more hints in one of Donna's posts that I think is extra helpful).

I suspect that some people may hear a pet store worker talking about basking lights, external filters, etc - and think the sales person is trying make money with 'unnecessary' equipment.

Others may want a pet without considering proper care. (Kind of like people who buy a large dog simply because they want a dog - only to chain them up all day long).

Pet stores can/should offer good advice. Some do. But that alone cannot solve the problem. Poor pet owners are the problem.

(Donna - what a wonderful work you are doing with those turtles. Well done!)

sand can cause trouble, get stuck in shell, be ingested etc. dont get me wrong some people claim its ok but bare bottom is the best for tanks imo.

just silicon around any glass edges that may stick out (depending on construction) on the base of tank, ramps etc.

ramps with glass steps can be nasty to a turtles shell when diving in off the basking platform.

sand can cause trouble, get stuck in shell, be ingested etc. dont get me wrong some people claim its ok but bare bottom is the best for tanks imo.

just silicon around any glass edges that may stick out (depending on construction) on the base of tank, ramps etc.

ramps with glass steps can be nasty to a turtles shell when diving in off the basking platform.

+1 :thup:

I think going out to buy any pet you need to do your research. I do it everytime before buying a new fish and sometimes I find that I know more than the sales person and then I basically give them information.

Donna your turtles are looking great, you are doing a fabulous job, some of the pics were realy upsetting :tears: but then the pics of their recovery is super happy ones :happy2:

Haha I love hOw they eat worms! Do yOu just get them from a garden and wash or do you buy them?

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that someone said you should take a wet towel and put it on the grass over night and then the next morning you will have lots of worms there :wink:

I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that someone said you should take a wet towel and put it on the grass over night and then the next morning you will have lots of worms there :wink:

mmmm, interesting concept......might have to try that. No I don't buy them. Some come from the compost heap. Its useful to leave worms overnight tho so they poo the dirt out.... Sometimes I find a worm and throw it in the tank...and end up with a nice dirt cloud :roll:

Its very educational. My son wanted one, but now I can see that he will never be able to care for it as it should be cared for, so he will have to settle for something else. I found the same with beardies, everyone think they are so easy, that was his first choice, but when I went looking for infomation on how to care for them I realised that it would be way to difficult for him, the last thing I want is to be the one looking after his pets. That is how I ended up with two fishtanks, I originally looked after his mountain minnows my sister in law got him for his 8th birthday :slfg:

Grossly obese, 6 yr old Bonnie. Had lived in a 3 ft tank with water so shallow she hadn't been able to swim for years. Only walk on bottom of little tank. Took months of making water slowly deeper for her to loose enough weight and gain enough muscle strength to swim. Spent summer in a pond here and now hibernating in Ohoka with about 30 other large female abandoned RES turtles in a specially built pond. (Thanks Cherie :thup: )

NewfatgirlMinnienwormOthersJuly26th2010063.jpg

NewfatgirlMinnienwormOthersJuly26th2010067.jpg

finallyabletodownloadtuchayIDhamilton115.jpg

finallyabletodownloadtuchayIDhamilton083.jpg

finallyabletodownloadtuchayIDhamilton087.jpg

BonnieBarneyNEWAmeliastankJuly2010026.jpg

She lost nearly 2cm in length once all the unshed, pointy scutes were removed. The ones above her head were digging into her as so pointy and long.

BonnieBarneyNEWAmeliastankJuly2010029.jpg

BonnieBarneyNEWAmeliastankJuly2010022.jpgBonnieBarneyNEWAmeliastankJuly2010035.jpg

Removing overgrown, pointy scutes

Make sure water is as deep as possible and theres a log or ornament and fake and/or real plants of some sort for it to hide behind and feel safe. A shy turtle in an exposed tank will be stressed, especially by people looking at the tank. It must be able to come up and breathe, so will be able to swim. Check the waters not too cold as well as it may be more active with warmer water :thup:

"Milton" with the layers of keratin type skin rotted off exposing the bone underneath. Caused by a humid tank with glass lids causing condensation. He had no ability to dry off completely.

March1st2009Turtles070.jpgMarch1st2009Turtles068.jpg

March1st2009Turtles074.jpgMarch1st2009Turtles076.jpg

March1st2009Turtles072.jpg

After plenty of dry docking, basking under correct lighting and baytril (antibiotic) baths, he developed a plaque like covering over the bone.

217.jpgPICT0022a.jpg

turtles26april2009206.jpgPICT0025b.jpg

When ready, the plaque areas fell off revealing black skin covering the bone. Was very thin. Over months, the same process happened as layer upon layer built up. You can even make out the lines where eventually a yellow colour grew back.

turtles26april2009196.jpgturtles26april2009194.jpg

turtles26april2009211.jpgturtles26april2009215.jpg