Turtle rescue

DonnaM

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 yr old Yertle started off with an unexplained swollen front leg. Then she developed thick, hard areas of skin where it joined to the shell. Vet and I were unsure what we were dealing with and although I asked on various reptile sites, no-one really knew.

FionasYertleJan2010023.jpg

FionasYertleJan2010028.jpg

FionasYertleJan2010031.jpg

Blood tests showed a number of problems and in consultation with a vet in the States, she was diagnoesd with gout. Eventually her only chance of survival was to insert a tube through the side of her neck and into her stomach so that fluid, food and medication could be administered. This was the first time the vet had done this to a turtle. Initially there was significant improvement.

turtletankFeb2010012.jpg

2010MarchTurtlestuff005.jpg

Daily doses of medicine, fluid and food...all put through the tube. Extremely time-consuming.

YertleetcJan2010015.jpg

Jan30th2010025.jpg

YERTLEJAN2010023.jpgYERTLEJAN2010021.jpg

YertletubefeedFeb2010002.jpgYertletubefeedFeb2010011.jpg

One unexpected complication was that Yertle began to retain fluid due to her compromised kidneys. The vet in USA told us to use dandelion to reduce it...so capsules were found and pulled apart and made into a liquid to go through the tube.... and it worked in reducing the fluid retention!

YertletubefeedFeb2010029.jpgRottingturtleandYertleMarch2010032.jpg

yertleandbigtankJan2010030.jpg2010MarchTurtlestuff041.jpg

Yertle began to walk around and show an interest in life again, enjoying time in the sun.

YertleimprovingFeb25th2010024.jpgYertleimprovingFeb25th2010026.jpg

Yertle's legs were able to take her weight and move in a 'normal' manner again.

YertleFeb20th2010033.jpgYertleFeb20th2010035.jpg

RottingturtleandYertleMarch2010072.jpg

Jan30th2010028.jpg

YERTLEJAN2010008.jpg

3 months after the feeding tube was inserted, Yertle died quietly in my arms.

Hindsite is a great thing and we should have started treatment and medications much sooner for her to have any chance. There was just too much damage.

But it was a huge learning curve for both of us and now the vet has been able to use a feeding tube on other extremely sick turtles and save their lives :)

March1st2009Turtles154.jpg

Spencer was found wandering on the beach at Spencer Park. He has a number of issues. An overbite from inadequate diet as a youngster means he makes up to 20 attempts to grab a piece of food. His shell has tell-tale signs of living in a small tank. His muscle wasting indicates shallow water as well as a small tank. His dark colour indicates he is over 10 yrs old or so. He won't be able to be rehomed as he needs special attention to ensure he is able to eat. He could never compete in a pond with other turtles as would probably starve to death. Despite all this, he has a lovely nature, but he does NOT like being in a box to travel somewhere :D

NewfatgirlMinnienwormOthersJuly26th2010075.jpg

April22nd2010002.jpg

How long can a turtle live in a small tank before their shell starts to deform?

Yertle's story made me tear up a bit, but at least the vet is able to help other turtles in similar states now. :tears:

Yes, it was a very traumatic time with Yertle. I kept the text minimal, as its still so sad thinking about it all too long :(

I cant give you an exact, scientific time that a turtle can be in a small tank, but from my observation, pretty much the turtle will slow its growth from day 1 in a small tank. Many turtles develop shell deformities, but the deformities also can vary. The most common deformity is where the scutes across 'shouder' area start to bulge. I've seen that countless times.

Even Yertle had significant shell deformity from the years before I got her. I had her for about 15yrs. About 10 yrs ago she broke the heater in her pond area and burnt the side of her face, losing her eye. She was unconscious, possibly from a bit of an electric shock?? and her face was against the internal coil of the heater which was still heating at 34 deg C (It was just keeping a large pond at a temp of 22 deg in my conservatory). Her mouth was so swollen and burnt inside that she needed to be syringe fed liquid food. She became egg bound as well and passed a rotten egg after various injections some time after the accident. It took about 18months to get her to a point where she was able to eat and live independently again. I used to put a soft piece of shrimp in her mouth, half in, half out so she had to learn how to move her mouth up and down again. Turtle Physio! She lived through alot in her life and was a very special turtle. I learnt about using plastic guards on heaters after that. I didnt even know you could get such a thing back then and just a few dollars would have saved her eye.

March1st2009Turtles188.jpgturtles025.jpg

Woops, I didn't even notice Yertle was missing an eye in those first few photos! :oops: Sounds like she taught you a lot over the years.

I had no idea shell deformities due to small tank size could be so bad. So much to learn...

• 2 weeks later...

"Metabolic bone disease." These two boys were sharing a tank and being fed bits of steak and mince. They were both very thin and weak. The little one was being starved by the larger one taking what food they had. He is nearly 2 yrs old...and tiny!

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010011.jpgHanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010019.jpg

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010027.jpgHanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010017.jpg

IDnewboysMinnieMilo002.jpgIDnewboysMinnieMilo003.jpg

He spent short periods of time in warm water and was dry docked to help his shell harden. He had swollen eyes from vit A deficiency.

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010023.jpg

His joints were a little swollen as well....you may be able to see the swelling on far front leg.

IDnewboysMinnieMilo013.jpgIDnewboysMinnieMilo019.jpg

He began to eat properly, gain strength and could progress to the 6ft tank. He also had 2 trips to the vet for vitamin injections....including Vit A specifically for the swollen eyes.

The other boy was about 8 yrs old and had a strange, flattened front of carapace.

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010028.jpg

His shell felt like thick paper...you could push it and cause an indentation. You can see the 'dent' I'm causing with a little pressure on the scute.

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010039.jpgHanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010032.jpg

HanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010031.jpgHanmerMBDMinnieTuchayssorefeetOct2010030.jpg

The bridge was sort of collapsed. It felt like the carapace would seperate from the plastron as it moved so much. You could see how the plastron was curved and the whole turtle would sort of 'squish' together. (A meat pie turtle :( )

Leeches! Arrrggghhhh, not again! These little creatures hitched a ride on some watercress and started invading the shallows of the girls pond. I made some traps with ox heart in a plastic container weighted down by a stone. Amazing how many they caught!

LeechespondsJan1st2010017.jpgLeechespondsJan1st2010005.jpg

LeechespondsJan1st2010006.jpg2011JanPondsIDsAmelialeeches078.jpg

2011JanPondsIDsAmelialeeches077.jpg

2011JanPondsIDsAmelialeeches076.jpg2011JanPondsIDsAmelialeeches075.jpg

They havent been eliminated, but they are greatly reduced in numbers.

Some amazing updates :bow: A pitty about the leaches, those are irritating little things, hope you get rid of most of them. About the heater guards, I never knew about them as well until one of my chocoalte zebras burned himself by not leaving his spot behind the heater, then someone here at fnzas told me about them, both my tanks have them now, so handy I think even if a heater had to mailfunction and explode it would be better with the guard :thup:

Oh my gosh the poor turtle! Imagine having those things all over you!

Yes :( Interestingly, they dont seem to do any damage to the skin. This last infestation would be seen more on a turtle with an injury...obviously as nice fresh blood!..... They seem to stay on the shell...and dry out and die when turtle is basking. :thup:

A few years ago when I first had them in a pond, they were so bad that some proffessor type person from Uni who came to identify them told me he'd never seen such a serious infestation in his life... oh, yay, I felt great....

So all ponds were completely ripped out and redone and no more leeches, till now. At least I knew what they were this time and have set traps...only problem is the dog discovered the traps and can break into them to get the meat! :sick: :sick: Will have to see if theres many there when the ponds get cleaned out ready for all the evacuated turtles to return from Napier. Drying the leeches out is a good way to get rid of them...though not easy to do in a pond.

EarthquakeFeb2011068.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011063.jpg

This earthquake refugee was found upside down in a park, too weak to turn himself over. His shell was a mess, but hes doing well now with plenty of good food etc. He's been offered MANY new homes from numerous people who have seen him listed on the earthquake lost and found section of TM....but once the people realise whats involved with caring for a turtle, they change their mind. Still, I'd rather that, then have him dumped again later on.... but its a very time-consuming process.

Two more refugees who arrived with the typical build-up of unshed scutes from incorrect environment.

EarthquakeFeb2011004.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011008.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011005.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011009.jpg

Once they spent some time outside in the sun their beutiful yellow shell colouring and red skin markings started to show up.

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th028.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th024.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th029.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th030.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th046.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th045.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th027.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th040.jpg

They were reported as having bitten each others tails off. However the vet and I are both unsure of the origin of these extreme injuries :( Neither showed any form of aggression and were very relaxed girls. They have both been rehomed to a kind person through this forum! :thup:

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th017.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th020.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th015.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th018.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th039.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011MemorialServiceMarch18th037.jpg

EarthquakeFeb2011029.jpgEarthquakeFeb2011040.jpg

aww I hope they were not cut off by the owner or something, don't think they will bite each others tails off, that just sounds sillly. You are doing such a great job with all these turtles, you are gonna have the most comfiest cloud to sit on in heaven looking over the biggest turtlepond you have ever seen :thup:

. You are doing such a great job with all these turtles, you are gonna have the most comfiest cloud to sit on in heaven looking over the biggest turtlepond you have ever seen :thup:

:D:D :thup: So long as I don't have to clean out the pond..... :rotf:

Todays little boy :cry: The information I have is that he 'often goes missing for 3 or 4 mths and then is found again'. He also has an injury from being caught under a lawn mower in recent history...I can only hope it was accidental...

His front toe-nails have been cut!!!!! ....and one toe-nail is missing completely. :an!gry

He has many superficial sores over head and limbs. He has a couple of superficial wounds on plastron.

He is 'floating' and lethargic (? pneumonia).

He has puffy eyes and skin is pinkish in colour and shedding heaps....and he's really thin.

He's come via the SPCA.

He will have a vet visit tomorrow.

SPCAShrekAKARoly035.jpgSPCAShrekAKARoly033.jpg

SPCAShrekAKARoly036.jpgIDphotosApril3rd2010020.jpgHeres an example of what his toe-nails should look like!

SPCAShrekAKARoly002.jpgSPCAShrekAKARoly004.jpg

SPCAShrekAKARoly032.jpgSPCAShrekAKARoly020.jpg

SPCAShrekAKARoly026.jpgSPCAShrekAKARoly022.jpg

aww another little one needing lots of tender loving care. Can't wait for update pics if he is all healed up and having a ball at your place :) About the heaven pond, it will be sparkly clean with super healthy turtles, just for you to sit and enjoy :happy1: