German imports double reds cockatoos

BURN

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh really.... not sharing info huh? :smln: I saw some today, for very good price too. Around $25 for imports.... Wonder if its the same place as yours BURN... If anyone wants to know where they will have to whisper the secret password and make a funny face :wink:

I will wait until they get some more in tho, want a definite female, no room for fakers at my house anymore!

What is with all this secret squirrel business? For crying out loud, they're not illegal or anything, and it would be really nice to see some good pics of well-coloured fish. And I for one would be happy to wait to buy fish off of someone who breeds ones with really nice colour, rather than buy whatever from the shops :P

Password was actually dangermouse, but secret squirrel is close enough - I will imagine you just pulled a funny face Joe.... so here is where I saw some

http://www.aquaworld.co.nz/ Just discovered them literally just around the corner from me!

The "female" was not fully black (actually no black at all) on the pectoral fins tho, and I think given a little bit of time may show more obviously as a male, as I could also see some colour up on the dorsal fin as well. The guy said more were due in next week so I will go back and check them out then. The male had strong colour, but not fully through the tail, and fins were fairly short. He was only little tho, so may colour up more with time. But a real nice strong red.

I also heard a rumour that HFF mt roskill have some golds on order, hopefully on thurs they might come in. Not sure how much $$ tho.

What is with all this secret squirrel business? For crying out loud, they're not illegal or anything, and it would be really nice to see some good pics of well-coloured fish. And I for one would be happy to wait to buy fish off of someone who breeds ones with really nice colour, rather than buy whatever from the shops :P

I agree, there is no reason not to name the shop that has them in stock? It is not like it is a secret or there is anything to gain by hiding where they are? If it helps anyone I was in HFF Mt Roskill today and they have none, maybe albany does? Or one of the animates stores..

:cofn:

img7721t.jpg

img7724g.jpg

These are the local bred ones, actually this is one of the offspring from my original pair.

I just picked up some of the original imports that are a year and a bit old and they're about half the size and a lot darker. I really like them but they've got nothing on this guy for colour and size.

ps. sorry for spamming these pictures, i just took them for Joe and thought it was relevant.

Interesting about the size, I was assuming the ones I saw in the shop yesterday were not fully developed, but could just be a lot smaller compared to my monster.

Nice pics :thup:

Yeah, I was very surprised that the imported ones had bred for the previous owner. I'm a bit concerned about putting them in the same tank as my breeding pair as I suspect they're technically a different breed in the same genus (which would explain why RyanJury's female got the crap beaten out of her in the same tank).

Awesome fish Dan, I also wonder the "local imports" you got were they the ones from HFF? Because I believe they were locally bred from the same stock as the one you have pictured.. Most of the locally bred stock originated from a guy in Levin who bred a heap of tripple red X F1 fish, this created a great strong line due to the mixed genetics but also diluted the colour alot and made it very variable.. After a few generations fish like your one pictured are starting to pop out which is awesome.. Ideally someone would source some of the new imports and cross them with this locally bred strain to get some more colour into it and some good genetics so we should have some good hardy colourful fish :)

Awesome fish Dan, I also wonder the "local imports" you got were they the ones from HFF? Because I believe they were locally bred from the same stock as the one you have pictured.. Most of the locally bred stock originated from a guy in Levin who bred a heap of tripple red X F1 fish, this created a great strong line due to the mixed genetics but also diluted the colour alot and made it very variable.. After a few generations fish like your one pictured are starting to pop out which is awesome.. Ideally someone would source some of the new imports and cross them with this locally bred strain to get some more colour into it and some good genetics so we should have some good hardy colourful fish :)

Thanks and yeah, both parents were local stock - one from HFF and one from a breeder in Avondale (which may have been the source of both).

I thought I had lines of both stock but I was mistaken. I was wondering if there were any females left in the new imports - might go shopping tomorrow.

Thanks and yeah, both parents were local stock - one from HFF and one from a breeder in Avondale (which may have been the source of both).

I thought I had lines of both stock but I was mistaken. I was wondering if there were any females left in the new imports - might go shopping tomorrow.

Do you know what stores have them in stock? I didn't see any at Mt Roskill, someone said earlier Albany isn't getting them in, guess that just leaves animates stores?

Do you know what stores have them in stock? I didn't see any at Mt Roskill, someone said earlier Albany isn't getting them in, guess that just leaves animates stores?

No, no idea. I'm going to Mt Roskill tomorrow so I guess I won't see any there. The pics of the new imports were from a Chch store weren't they? I'll have to go look in the commercial trade section again I think...