Setting up Local Marine :-)

reptilez

Hi,

i am setting up a Local marine tank...thanks about 60L

I am a bit off a n00b when it comes to marine,

i have got a few questions...

1) I live on the beach and have access to clean water...may i use this?

2) I have got some coral from my old cichlid tank already dry,How long and how shall I cycle it with NSW ?

3) Would it be better to go tropical marine instead of local? Pros Cons?

4) I read on a topic that i might not need a filter,i can clean the tank very regulary,do i need a filter or no ?

Thanks heaps

Matthew

You get banned from the marine fish-keeping hobby for calling it a 'nemo'.

never to be talked to again

Hi,

i am setting up a Local marine tank...thanks about 60L

I am a bit off a n00b when it comes to marine,

i have got a few questions...

1) I live on the beach and have access to clean water...may i use this? yes

2) I have got some coral from my old cichlid tank already dry,How long and how shall I cycle it with NSW ? yes

3) Would it be better to go tropical marine instead of local? Pros Cons? need a chiller in summer for local

4) I read on a topic that i might not need a filter,i can clean the tank very regulary,do i need a filter or no ? sump is best and weekly water changes

Do some research on the 'berlin method' this is how 99.9% of marine tanks are run now days. In simple terms you need just live rock and a skimmer. Every thing else is an addition to address a specific problem that you may or may not have depending on what you keep and how you run the tank. Your nitrate processer for example is only needed if you have high nitrate levels. This is only going to happen if you have a high bioload, low amount of live rock, and rubbish skimmer, it also assumes you need a low nitrate level which you may not, a fish only or softie tank for example doesn't require overly low nitrate.

That post seems to sum it up really. For a tank that size you will only need a hang on back skimmer so no real need for a sump. You can always upgrade to a sump if you need it later on.

That post seems to sum it up really. For a tank that size you will only need a hang on back skimmer so no real need for a sump. You can always upgrade to a sump if you need it later on.

Ok thanks heaps !

have you got any links to good skimmers you reccomend?

i have heard that using coral rock from freshwater tanks is a bad idea as while its been in fresh water it will have absorbed phosphates which will leech into your tank and could cause algae issues for some time. you may be able to get away without using a chiller if its in an air conditioned room and you are a nazi with the controls(set as low as possible at all times) a chiller will be the most expensive part you will need as for a skimmer id reccomend a hang on back model as they dont take up make space in the tank and then you could do away with a sump

Ok thanks guys,can i put the inhabitants in straight away....

i am hoping to have 4 hermit crabs and 3 small starfish...what shall i feed them ?

i wont have space for the skimmer as it is an hexagonal tank so i might just do what living art said...what temperature would be good for the hermits and starfishs'

thanks guy!!!

what shall i feed them?

bits of mussel, prawn, fish etc

will 4 hermits and 3 starfish be fine without skimmer/filter?

yes so long as you don't have uneaten food in tank and do water changes

only a low bio load fauna wise

thanks heaps!!!

what shall i feed them?

bits of mussel, prawn, fish etc

will 4 hermits and 3 starfish be fine without skimmer/filter?

yes so long as you don't have uneaten food in tank and do water changes

only a low bio load fauna wise

thanks heaps!!!

Thanks heaps!

can i put them in the tank straight away or shall i wait for the bacteria?

I have decided to go for a nano tropical marine due to the cost of a chiller....

i will read some of the previous topics...what would be better to use for a nemo fish,corals and anenomes....NSW or powder make your own one???

thanks matthew

for a nano with corals its easy to just use asw as u dont have to play around to get the levels right , unless you live close to a beach with good quality water and dont mind mixing in RODI water to get the salinity right but good on you for deciding to go with tropical you wont regret it

for a nano with corals its easy to just use asw as u dont have to play around to get the levels right , unless you live close to a beach with good quality water and dont mind mixing in RODI water to get the salinity right but good on you for deciding to go with tropical you wont regret it

Thanks....

i live on the beach so it might be easier to get it from there...opinion?

whats ASW?

What RODI water...sorry i am a newbie :-(

Would i need to get a refractometer for a small tank or just a hydrometer?

Thanks Heaps

Matthew