The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went HFF friday, saw 2 nice almost white dragon females and couldn't decide between them :dunno:. Now that I've decided and went back, the one I wanted isn't there anymore. Such is the way life works. This one's colour isn't as nice, but does seem to have a lot more spunk. She's in the tank next to my opaque white boy and he seems to like her. Seems to be trying awfully hard to impress her. I have no tanks to put any fry atm, but one day in the future, maybe I'll breed them.

We need more fighter breeders. Want to borrow a tank?

Very quiet on low settings. About the same as the fan on the gas fire. Quite loud on high but I doubt we will ever run it on that. We did yesterday to burn off the new excess paint. Had all the doors and windows open, batteries removed from the smoke alarms (as they kept going off), and it was very hot in there!

The earlier models were very noisy, not just the fans but the auger as well I am told.

spent the morning skiing at Turoa. Off for a bike ride now. Whakapapa tomorrow then home in time for the pet expo on Friday.

I have 2 female cockatiels that need a new home if anybody is interested?

Also feeling the need to get the big tank up and running again. Bloody power bill has gone through the roof though. Still - it feels wrong to not be using a tank that big.

Want to buy a big tank? :D It'd be awesome in your garage. You know you want to....

Just think of all the chain loaches you could put in it 8) .....

I'm sprouting seeds for my birds today :D I have the day off school because I'm not feeling well. I had last Friday off, and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off too.

The sprouts contain lots of different essential nutrients apparently, which is good for the birds. So far it is a failure though - nothing has happened at all.

Why would you want to feed wild birds? They get by OK as it is and they contain lots of diseases so feeding them and providing them with extra nurtients so they will be healthier and produce more offspring that will spread more diseases isn't really the best idea. Just my opinion though. But yes you can put seed in a jar with water, only it needs to be taken out after about 12hrs and then put in a sieve propped up on a bowl and you have to rinse it several times a day or the sprouting seeds will get mouldy. It seems a lot of work just to produce a few sprouts :o You can get sprout-o-matic things, that rinse/mist the sprouts automatically every now and then, but they're quite expensive and I'm not sure where you'd get them from.

Proper sprouters are expensive agreed.

I like the sparrows and pigeons who come to visit, they are much less rude and more thankful than the neighbourhood cats who I have tried to befriend. Perhaps if they got more nutrients they wouldn't catch the diseases.

I hate the pigeons near my house :P. Wish my neighbours would stop feeding them. They keep roosting on my roof right above my room and making a racket stomping around in the morning, plus they kept crapping all over my roof :an!gry. Before these neighbors moved in we only had tuis, doves, sparrows and blackbirds, which were really nice. After they came, I don't know what they started feeding, but we started getting seagulls instead, which were tolerable, but pigeons have now taken over and I hate them.