April 24, 201115 yr comment_430935 Hi all, I would like to ask how to breed rummy noses? any tips and tricks? Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_430955 Hi all, I would like to ask how to breed rummy noses? any tips and tricks? I love mine... sooooo want more too. but no idea about breeding them ~ sorry Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_430957 Here is an excellent article from Caryl.. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13431&hilit=rummynose+breeding Report
April 24, 201115 yr Author comment_431017 Thanks heaps !! excellent article but it seems like I can't really breed them at my home as I don't have the space for the breeding tank..... emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm do you know any local breeders that sell slightly cheaper than the shops? Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_431047 I would think that anyone who could breed rummys would be doing so in very large numbers and supplying shops. If so, they would not undercut those places by selling cheaper to hobbyists. Having said that, I believe there is a breeder in ChCh known for breeding many species, rummys are one of them. Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_431096 That breeder lost most of his tanks and all of his rummies in the quake but is in the process of trying to start up again. He sure can breed fish so pray for an end to the shakes. Report
April 25, 201115 yr Author comment_431200 I think he starts selling again on Trademe. the price is reasonable - $5.00 per rummy... however, he wouldn't ship :( Oh well.. I think I just need to save up to buy more rummy.. sighhhh Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_431212 Here is an excellent article from Caryl.. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewto ... e+breeding thats a good article, can we get it put into the articles section on the FNZAS home page, in the same section as the cardinal tetra breeding guide. Report
April 26, 201115 yr comment_431250 thats a good article, can we get it put into the articles section on the FNZAS home page, in the same section as the cardinal tetra breeding guide. +1 Report
May 8, 201115 yr comment_433634 Cool. I got myself some also. Great looking fish, but hard to get a good close up look at them as they are very hypo. Currently fattening mine on bloodworms, live daphnia an decap BS. Report
May 8, 201115 yr comment_433635 yeah cool i have seven and mine are all realy fat im guna have a go soon at breeding them ( maybe next weekend ) Report
May 11, 201115 yr comment_434155 Hey Luke. Are the eggs light sensitive or just the fry? What did you feed as a first food? Cheers. Report
May 12, 201115 yr comment_434324 hi danval. i didnt find either light sensitive, though i kept the tank dim (no overhead light) for a couple of months. I fed liquifry (can you still get this stuff? i spawned them years ago but keen to try again soon ). but as Bryan mentions in his article they can go straight onto newly hatched brine shrimp on the afternoon of day 5. feed a tiny amount as overfeeding will foul the water and check their bellies to see if they're consuming them anyone know if Bryan is still around? Report
May 12, 201115 yr comment_434329 Thanks for that Luke. Mine looked to be spawning in the early morning but I can't be sure...... My tank is not yet set up for any spawn. I was thinking of making some type of egg catcher with a fine mesh, with holes big enough for the eggs to fall through but also to keep out the hungry adults.... Report
May 12, 201115 yr comment_434381 Most fish spawn a few hours after the sun comes up. Use a small bare bottom tank with a s/s mesh a few mm off the bottom. Soft water treated with peat is good. Cover the tanks with newspaper. Add a drop of acriflavine. You will see the eggs with a small torch. Report
May 17, 201115 yr comment_435155 that is normally true for tetras alanmin4304 but these guys usually breed the second night after introduction to the breeding tank. cardinal tetras are the same Report
May 17, 201115 yr comment_435172 that is normally true for tetras alanmin4304 but these guys usually breed the second night after introduction to the breeding tank. cardinal tetras are the same Really? You should totally come and breed mine! I have like 60+ now. No breeding that I can see. Report
June 11, 201115 yr comment_439656 This morning I noticed a number of eggs on the bottom of my breeding tank. On trying to remove the breeders I basically destroyed the tank. Can anyone advise on an effective method on trying to catch these guys? Thanks. Report
June 11, 201115 yr comment_439658 have 2 big nets and put one at each end of the tank and close together, only method that doesnt involve chasing them around the tank :facepalm: Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_440458 or use one and just go slow.. try to corner them. congrats on the eggs! check for fry right now.. they hatch extremely quickly Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.