I am trying the real plants thing now

mcrudd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you shouldnt have any issues growing the ambulia, but i wonder if you need to setup a diy co2 bottle and remove the airstone ?

I have two airstones in there, both run the whole width of my tank. I am not to sure about co2, don't know anything about it. The ambulia seems to be coming alive now, they are sprouting little new umbrellas at the tops of the plants :thup: They just needed some time to adapt :D

It doesn't need high CO2 or ferts. It grows like a weed either which way.
+1

I have some growing very well under 11w/6 hr photoperiod, 1x weekly dosing with ferts and 2x weekly Excel. It is one of the more sensitive plants for nutrient deficiency. For that reason it is a great bellwether for planted tanks.

Then how come everything else does?
The more light a plant gets, the more CO2 and ferts it needs. In low light (or with a short photoperiod), plants will grow slower than in high light, and they will also be less likely to develop nutrient deficiency.

The more light a plant gets, the more CO2 and ferts it needs. In low light (or with a short photoperiod), plants will grow slower than in high light, and they will also be less likely to develop nutrient deficiency.

Now that is interesting. I think I have my lights on too long then, I will shorten my hours of light. I have it on from 8am to 10pm. I will try from 8am to 6pm from now on and see what happens or perhaps from 10am to 8pm somthing like that :wink:

Thought I would update this. I had to take a videoclip and then made photos from pausing the clip, because my old dinosaur camera is not taking nice photo's anymore. Well here is what it looks like now :love:

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Some of my Ambulia is growing nicely and some are wilted and brown, but I am leaving them in there just incase they adapt. I have lessened my hours of light and its looking good. I am gonna wait until I must do a nice big waterchange. I do that every three months when I do a system check and then I am gonna remove my background and replace it with a plain black or blue, probably black cause the current one looks weird with life plants :sml2:

Below is what a photo looks like. my camera is making weird photos with red lines all over :facepalm:

009.jpg

The flash also takes away the nice bright green colour that the plants are, so the video clip is much better :thup:

I need to get a big variety of plants and see what works in my tank. I've been waiting since, let's see...February for someone who said she'd send me some*Cough*Zev*Cough* :slfg:

I don't get to any pet shops that have plants often, all the ones at Animates when I went last time were half dead looking.

006-1.jpg

another update pic, took it for another thread but can just aswell show it here as well. Sam the water sprite has officially reached the top and the one leaf is out of the water allready :o Sophia I took the pic as you suggested with all the house lights off just the tank lights on and no flash on the camera :thup:

• 3 weeks later...
That looks great. It would be even better (in my opinion of course) if those rocks were nestled away in the plants with only a little bit showing; almost like the plants have grown around the rocks!

I agree :) I will shift them and take another pic later :thup:

Those are your clearest photos yet and I like the arrangement too.

Thanks Sophia, Hubby said he would buy me a camera in a few months time, just gotta be patient now :) :happy1:

wow !drool: I hope my tank looks as cool as that when I plant it :D

I am speachless, I never ever thought any body would make a little drool face for my tank ever :o

It looks so much better than when the plants were all up the front :thup:

Thanks so much Josh, gosh a person learns a lot from what you see in other peoples tanks :wink: