Bugger!

ryanjury

Had a disaster recently..

I saw a fish I wanted at a petshop and grabbed it then ended up being really busy and in a hurry just chucked it into an established tank with other breeders (fish was big and looked healthy enough). I am sure everyone can figure out what happened next. I noticed that the fish had a small sore on its side (assumed it was just from smashing into a rock or something like that so thought nothing of it). Then noticed the fish in the tank had white spot got annoyed I didn't quarantine so treated for that, next day all the fishes scales are peeling off slime everywhere and they are dying! I freaked out got in touch with Jen and starting trying to treat for what we might be able to guess it was, it wiped that 5fter out of fish and I had tried my best to ensure no movement of water etc had happened. A few days later I noticed a sick fish in my big 540L display tank with 90% of my breeders (close to 100 fish) that I wasn't breed from in it, 2 days later (with tons of attempts to treat) they are all dead :( Pretty gutted about the whole thing really, and the worst part is it is my fault. However the fish that caused the whole thing is still alive, so it must either be a carrier and not show any symptoms, so I am not even sure that quarantine would have helped because I would have declared it clean by now and introduced it.. So I guess it is just one of those things that happens. At least it hasn't spread to any other tanks so I can sterilise everything and start again :(

I am pretty gutted and it was almost enough to get me to throw it in for the last week I have been considering it :(

If anyone has brought any of my fish over the years and has any pure babies from them let me know I am looking to get a few of the many strains I have lost.

Yeah it really sucks, I had had most of these fish for 4+ years so they were big and I had raised them from 1-2cm fry was by far my favourite tank so really hurt to loose them all..

It was a particularly nasty thing that hit they, I have been keeping fish for many years now and never seen anything like it. Have had a few mates over to see if they knew either none of them could think of anything, it is pretty horrible to just have them all wiped out :(

Yeah it could have been worse, mind you if I had to choose between loosing a few of the things I can't replace or pretty much every breeder I have ever had it would be a hard choice..

Sterilise will be pour half a container of bleach through the tanks filled them up and cycle them for a few days then clean it all out start again..

I am really sorry to hear this mate. I always admired your big tank and know how hard you worked to not only stock it but also to maintain it. It had years invested in it.

We all hope that it will cause you to be more determined rather than thinking of giving in because losing someone as knowledgeable as you in a country this small would leave a big hole and would take a long time to recover from.

I know how many people you have helped get into this hobby and how many people you continue to help, myself included, so hopefully the good deeds will come back to you with interest.

Sucks Ryan, any idea what the disease was?

Goes to show it always pays to treat new fish with caution....

Unsure what it was I think it may have been Tetrahymena corlissi which is more common in guppies. I did manage to treat 6 fish from the initially affect tank with tonic, but this didn't work in the second tank that was affected :( I also tried albendazole as suggested in this article viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47774&hilit=guppy+disease from research I have done you are very lucky to get a 50% success rate with treating it I had no luck this time. Of course I have no actual confirmation of what actually caused it..

Yeah all new fish should be treated with caution, but also goes to show that sometimes these things just happen, as I said the fish that caused it all is still alive and at the stage where I would have introduced her to a tank with other fish anyway so it would have happened then. Maybe it was a combination of factors that caused it to surface and affect the other fish it is hard to tell.

And yeah just gives me more tanks and motivation to put into my other species, and look forward to future imports to get new stock.. Pretty gutted about my dolphins/giraffes though :(