dwarf puffer

Brewerchch

does anybody have first hand experience of the temperment of dwarf puffers?

wanting to put one in my community tank but i got told they can be quite aggressive

Yes, they can be. Very.

That's assuming you mind finding tetras with their tails bit off and throats bit out occasionally.

In my experience, when a dwarf puffer feels like a snack, especially in the middle of the night, no one is safe and that includes other dwarf puffers :roll:

I agree. I loved feeding them when I had them and they were plenty fun to watch since they actually seem curious about you, but man are they mean fish. They'll attack other fish the first chance they'd get, or at least the 2 I had would, I even had to separate mine since one was being picked on heaps.

I agree. I loved feeding them when I had them and they were plenty fun to watch since they actually seem curious about you, but man are they mean fish. They'll attack other fish the first chance they'd get, or at least the 2 I had would, I even had to separate mine since one was being picked on heaps.

Those are the two I am talking about. When I acquired them off you they disposed of the other puffers in the tank. Just picked them off over time.

I had 2 female dwarf puffers in a 250l with some danios and corys with a few plants,not heavily planted with no problems. Well none till the earthquake that broke that tank. I lost one of the puffers then but the other is now living in another planted 250l with CPD's and small rainbows of all sizes. She has not bit anyone so far but I'm not holding my breath once all the snails are gone. Not that I think they would bite to feed rather just bite due to being hungry angry. I would like to get her back into another tank as she struggles to get any worms away from the Furcata rainbows they are fat guts :wink: