Optimising plant growth and minimising algae

Jennifer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on which product you are talking about, I should have put Flourish Excel in my post, the recommended dosage being 5ml for 200l daily or every other day

Flourish Comprehensive or just plain Flourish (the brown stuff) has a dosage rate of 5ml for 250l once or twice a week.

• 3 months later...
+1 to what dbden said although I get nutrient deficiencies with the stocker micronutrient mix so I supplement it with Flourish Comprehensive. Most people don't add enough micronutrients so try dosing daily with micronutrients and cut back to every other day if you can still get the same results.

Hi Jen - what were you finding it deficient in, if you don't mind me asking?

I would like to know what is causing the brown algae on the crypts and anubias in my loach tank. They are all growing and healthy except for the algae. Once upon a time I was told that green algae means too much light, brown means not enough - is that a myth?

inside tank dimensions

52cm long

21cm deep from water level to average top of substrate

33.5cm wide

lighting 1 x - T8 15watts 6500k tube, for 6 hours a day. Little or no natural sunlight near tank.

little or no fertiliser except for root tabs and JBL balls in the substrate, which is gravel and sand.

crypt1.jpg

crypt2.jpg

nana2.jpg

nana1.jpg

It could be to low oxygen levels (not enough circulation) or too low lighting.

Have a geez here

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/85667-par-data-spiral-power-saver-bulbs-5.html#post904062

And

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/85667-par-data-spiral-power-saver-bulbs-2.html#post837592

For some info if you were looking at increasing your lighting.

:wave: I would say that's a bit of brown algae and some 'scum'. Brown algae isn't too serious and is usually self limiting. A couple of small algae eaters would help to keep things tidy. Or you could just use your fingers to wipe it away. You could also go a bit more extreme and try a three day blackout, or reducing the photoperiod for a week or so.

it doesn't wipe away like slime, it's a bit more stuck on than that.

I got it before I doubled the wattage of the light fitting, the new lights made it all go away and now it's come back again. :dunno:

....... later edit

got me 2 oto for this tank... thanks Jennifer, I just needed an excuse :happy2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had a change of light tube about 3 weeks ago and a change of location. There is filtered daylight in this room, although none on the tank directly. Slowly the brown algae and scum has come back. The oto aren't really cleaning it up though I can see them trying. The latest concern is that the twisted val has gone a bronzey colour. The anubias and the crypts are still ok, most plants have a perfect new leaf at present. The balansae is making a comeback.

In the CPD tank there is a lot of the scum, it looks like the tank needs a serious dusting and a few cobwebs removed. This tank doesn't seem to get the brown algae.

Both of these tanks are next to each other in the new room, do you think this is all caused by increased light?

The annual FNZAS Conference is auck next year :thup:

I can't wait that long for a diagnosis on my Bronze Twisted Val :sml2:

I suspect there is a missing oto, I can only see one. The other other is looking extremely fat also, maybe a little too fat :tears: .

Eurethromycin is prescription only but Furan2 works, is not and can be bought from the pet shop.
Furans are on the list of drugs that are now being tested for in food products at border control and there are a few false positives showing up, a ban on furan* could be on the cards as then NZ can easier say that it is a false positive. There have already be murmurs about this in the beekeeping world.

Just a heads up