Beardie stressed, due to lay?? (Autopsy/graphic pics*)

Insect Direct

Good one. That is exactly what I would do. If you find it hard to pry open its mouth for a feed, shout out as I can give you some tips.

When giving her the marmite water earlier. I sort of eased the syring into the side of her mouth/lips, she didnt open up much, but enough for me to slowly inject solution. Took a couple of attempts, she was getting stressed hence didnt try a bug today. Any tips appreciated as I can see it being a challenge.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Jennifer is still on here

would crushed charcoal tablet help absorb anything in the beardies system?

Yes, but only if there is a causative toxin within the digestive tract - something that it had eaten within the last day. Considering how long it had been going on, I wouldn't think it would be of much help. Wouldn't hurt though, as far as I know.

Any tips appreciated as I can see it being a challenge.

That is a good method, but the key is to be quick about it to minimise the stress. One way to do that is to have someone restrain the animal's body (or you can wrap it in a towel - beardie burrito style -and tuck it under your arm with its head in the hand of the same arm). Assuming you are right-handed, point the animal's head toward your right side and place your left hand hand over the head so that your index finger and thumb are on either side of the head/mouth. Use your right hand to move the syringe into place and deposit the food into the mouth. Blob of food, wait a second for it to swallow, repeat two or three times until you have given the desired amount. The whole process should not take more than a minute or so. Get it down right and you will spend very little time struggling - less stress for animal and handler. Small frequent meals.

She had a couple of chews on the insect then spat it out. Got my finger caught up in the process, shes still got plenty of strength.

Did blender mix. Couldnt see pulp going up syringe, so seived out juice. Have given her a little using the burrito method :hail::D . Will see how she looks in an hour or so, may give her some more mid avo.

Could spoon pulp into mouth??

Absolutely, spoon away. If you don't mind modifying your syringe you can widen the tip by sticking a metal skewer or phillips screwdriver in the end and wiggling it around a bit. You can also buy lavage or catheter tip syringes at a pharmacy and can cut the tip off to the point at which the opening is large enough.

Faeces are good, shows she is getting something in (must have 'ins' to have 'outs') and that the intestines are at least somewhat clear and working. Keep the food and liquids up. Flushing out the system may be one of the best things you can do right now.