Beardie stressed, due to lay?? (Autopsy/graphic pics*)

Insect Direct

may not have been the marmite though

i have used it on birds a lot when they seem to be on their last legs

read quite a few years ago vit b goes first from a bird when it was under stress and shows as paralysis in limbs and beak

marmites vitb , B12 , protien, amino acid, with warm water i feel gives the system a kick start

lot of sodium in it though

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she was looking pretty grim until i got some fluid into her.

I havent managed to get any solids into her. If laying they often go off food for a few days so not worried about that really.

Ive been making up fresh salads, lots of insects, 1/4 cup water (enough to get traction in blender), tiny bit marmite.

blend then drain juice. Syringe feed, seems to have picked her up.

Who knows maybe she would of pulled through anyway.

I could of got onto it sooner, looking back at photos she was showing signs atleast two weeks prior. Breeding tipped her over the edge i think. :dunno:

Upto 6 eggs now, one looks like a dud, rest ok.

Colour not bad on body either this afternoon gone.

not normal at all. she hasnt even bothered digging :roll:

been laying eggs down by the water bowl even though has nice damp sand down the other end of tank.

shes going through the pushing motions still, will leave her to it or until she stops laying.

almost like she laid through the night, turned light off at midnight and thought that may stop progress but there was 4 more eggs in tank this morning at 7am.

not fussed about the eggs, just hoping she will drop them all and start to eat again, will be very happy to have her alive at the end of this.

yep this the sister of the one i did an autopsy on last year.

mealworms, crickets, locusts, roaches and slaters, moths etc as a treat.

in the last year she would have had mealworms only 2/3times. (i went abit anti on them after last years one passed)

easterns seem to love the veges, eat alot more than my inlands.

damage may of been done when younger. :dunno:

She's been growing realtively slow but consistant I thought. She's 47cm, not huge for a 3y/o but not a bad size to breed.

In saying that I did notice a bit of a growth spurt in past few months, tail almost appears to be getting slight kinks, sort of looks dehydrated......has grown. Lack of calcium to assist eggs and growth maybe....

normally i try introduce male, let them do the deed then separate. = minimal stress

above wasnt yielding any success, left male with her for a good 2weeks.

do wonder if the male just gave her too much attention.

few things to try out different next time. even just putting her on some sand a few weeks back may of helped.

just put my inland on sand for the first the time, she dug some nice caves instantly and i didnt even think she had eggs just yet.

from that link i posted

. Owners who are attempting to breed their dragons may present a lizard because she has laid a clutch of eggs, but still appears to have retained some eggs. Examples of managing this condition range from basic supportive care to aggressive calcium supplementation and fluid therapy to hormonal management using oxytocin or prostaglandins to Caesarean section or ovariohysterectomy (ovariosalpingectomy). It is important to differentiate between pre-ovulatory egg stasis and post- ovulatory egg stasis when lizards are presented because treatment for

the two syndromes may differ. Concurrent egg yolk peritonitis can accompany some of these cases as well. Some female bearded dragons may have persistent necrotic ovarian follicles on their ovaries, which may result in coelomic disease and require surgical intervention.

Anorexia, Hepatic Lipidosis, and Brumation

A fatty liver-like syndrome occurs in adult bearded dragons commonly. Typically, these dragons are obese with large abdominal fat pads. Clinical signs are usually anorexia and depression. Adult bearded dragons need approximately 20% of their diet as fat but many captive diets that utilize a large portion of insects are closer to 40% fat. Hepatic lipidosis may result. Blood work is often unremarkable except sometimes AST is elevated and sometimes hyperglycemia is documented. Radiographs and ultrasound may reveal an enlarged liver and possibly ascites. Endoscopic liver biopsy or exploratory celiotomy and iver biopsy will confirm the diagnosis. Hepatic lipidosis in females during egg production is not

pathologic. Treatment involves supportive care including fluid therapy, broad-spectrum antibiotics, lactulose, and assisted feeding. Daily warm water soaks are also beneficial to help with hydration. Clients may need to continue this support at home for 3–4 weeks before the dragon may begin to accept food on its own. Unfortunately, many of these dragons are presented late in the disease cycle and a diagnosis is

made at necropsy. Etiology and techniques for prevention are unknown, but clients should be warned not to over-condition bearded dragons.

Bearded dragons may also refuse food as they start to brumate, or “hibernate” (a state of torpor induced by prolonged spells of low temperatures)—this should not be mistaken for a pathological condition. Low ambient temperatures due to husbandry problems or seasonal changes in the climate have been incriminated as potential causes. Increasing the ambient temperature and eliminating drafts often corrects the problem. If these corrective measures fail to improve the dragon’s appetite, further

investigation is warranted.

in birds there are 3 different types of egg yolk peritonitis, the one that may pertain to this is

where the egg yolk sometimes become infected with bacterial growth while it is still inside the bird

or Infection may occur while the yolk is moving down the egg tract

another may be the eggs may have been contaminated from the liver, fatty liver syndrome,

the fat pads in her sister may be an indication of this

how is her mood now?

just checked and she laid an egg infront of my eyes, i think we had a moment :lol:

otherwise, been pretty much just sitting, doing a pushing motion every now and again. glad she just dropped another as was starting to worry. little bit of yoke/urate stuff prior to this egg. similar to the yellow thing i smeared earlier on.

thats 15 egg total i think.

sister laid 18 and i didnt even pic up she had eggs/was fat.

so picking 22-24 in this girl, hopefully no more.