Beardie stressed, due to lay?? (Autopsy/graphic pics*)

Insect Direct

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep heavily with repcal calcium (no d3) :P

this is how it all went down :D

was misting her, she was lapping water up off her nose.

then walked around her water bowl upto some fresh salad, had a couple of attempts

but withdrew about 5mm off food each time, i was thinking is her eye sight ok...

thought id dust a cricket and drop in, soon as i did that she was off.

after 3rd she was loosing interest/getting lazy, gave her another with legs off (easy to catch).

left her to it, and she was basking straight after. :lol:

Thanks for all the positive comments. Especially big thanks to Livingart and Jennifer for your input :bow:

She looks to be over the first hurdle or two now so thats great. Will be interesting to see how she goes over the next few weeks, especially so if she tries to produce another clutch.

Glad she has recovered a bit. It still is a bit of a guessing game as to the cause of her problems though. These guys can get excessively high calcium blood levels, D3 toxicity and fatty liver disease as a result of not eating (usually as a result of early kidney disease). It is all rather complicated. In general, I would say if you caught it early then even if she has some kind of organ failure you may be able to turn it around. The fact that she produced some urates is a good sign that her liver is able to produce uric acid and that her kidneys are working to excrete it. No doubt about it, husbandry plays an important role. These guys are used to getting lots of exercise and that is very important in preventing obesity which can predispose them to fatty liver disease.

Aside from taking her to the vet for tests, my advice would be the following:

1. Aim to keep her well hydrated by baths and moist food. Weigh her daily with an accurate gram scale so you can determine if she is getting dehydrated (1 gram weigh loss = 1ml of water loss).

2. Feed a lower protein diet. This will be a challenge because you don't want to feed high fat and contribute to obesity however, protein metabolites are 'processed' by the kidneys and we want to minimise kidney insults so aim to feed only the highest quality protein such as pinkies, fuzzies or crews. If you do feed insects/worms, feed a very wide variety and avoid locusts as they are very high protein. Also, ensure your insects are newly molted and gut loaded with vegetables so that you get the most nutritional value and do not risk intestinal impaction from the hard exoskeletons. In general, aim to feed mostly young mice as these have the very best nutritional profile.

3. Ensure you feed around 20% vegetable matter including a variety of chopped vegetables and fruits (e.g. pumpkin, green beans, carrots, silver beet, parsley, dandelion berries and dark fleshy fruits).

4. Let her exercise as much as possible (yes, encourage her to go jogging) and do not let her go without eating for more than a day.

my lizards dont appear fat imo :D

easterns seem hard to get any weight on at times.

infact i think lack of food especially good food may of been a factor in her not doing so well.

pinkies i thought would be on the fatty side?

exercise is a good point. large outdoor enclosures would be a good start.

maybe more swimming although im skeptical about too much moisture.

don`t worry about what you think they look like.seeing them everyday you probably take a bit for granted without even realising it??all the books/internet I have read say growing lizards 80% protein 20% plant,mature lizards this is reversed??