6 foot planted tank

antwan

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I guess? I cant guarantee them but they're the marbled type leaf ones, maybe missing some parts of leaves due to being thrown in with cichilds =P

If you pm me we can sort something out, address etc - I just wont be able to send anything till next week is all

Wow neat fish! !drool:

Most green swords should be ok, but I don't think that glosso will grow under those lights given the depth of the tank.

Antwan you could try glosso, ADA seem to be able to grow it really well under 150w halides in 60cm heigh tanks; http://www.aquajournal.net/suikei_data/001/suikei0801.html

Just place it closer to the halides, so not right out in the middle of the tank or something. It should grow fine if it is closer to a light source. Worth a try.

• 2 months later...

The new look. Growth over a few months.

July 12

July122011.jpg

July 17

July172011.jpg

August 13

August132011.jpg

August 30

August302011.jpg

Tonight

Sep92011.jpg

And some of the fish

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

Even a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgkf5Rrt18

New fish are:

5 Apollo Sharks (best fish ever!)

8 Clown loaches

1 Zebra spiny eel

3 Acarichthys heckelii

The apisto's really need to be moved out as the female gets harrassed quite a bit by the sharks.

I must say this setup is much nicer work-wise. I'm doing about 1/8th the amount of water changes and only dosing ferts once a fortnight. And these fish (mainly the sharks) are ferocious! They're going to be a lot of fun when there are a lot of insects about.

What a mission to get them though! I bought the last one from Organism, then over two shipments ordered 7 from HFF but 5 died :-? pretty gutted.

Ahh, that sucks. I lost 2 of my 6 a while ago but the remaining 4 are all good. well they were until yesterday when I found one had jammed itself behind my 300W jager overnight. It now has some serious heater burn on it's head but is eating and getting better. I wonder if there are any left in Auckland?

anyway, awesome tank :) I like the use of 1 hallide too.

Tank looks great! cool stocking too! African butterflyfish would look good in there too I think. Would be sweet if the heckli breed.

Butterfly fish would be cool, the current stock do seem to spend a bit too much time around the bottom. I'd need to save for a bit to get a few of them though.

Yea, I'm definitely hoping for some spawning from the heckelii fingers crossed for both sexes.

mcrudd, the tank is about 650 litres, 6' by 2' by 2'

Ismart I may take you up on that as the tank I've put them into has a lot of CO2 going into it so not sure how well they're going to be in it.

Thanks everyone else for the comments :hail: I just need to leave it alone now and let them grow!

The apisto's are a lot happier in their new home so I'll keep them for a bit.

I went round to a guys house the other night and saw that he had a whole bunch of pot plants around the top of his tank which I thought was quite cool. He's sparked an idea.

I went round to some shops yesterday and bought some thin netting material from spotlight, a few house plants and some aquatic plants.

Two cheeky lines of silicone means no water will escape and soak the carpet

IMG_0857.jpg

A bit of wire netting to hold the plants in place. There's xmas moss, babies tears, and some lilaeopsis.

IMG_0858.jpg

I'll put the netting all around the top and buy a ton more house plants, add a bit of driftwood to the top, and then keep chucking insects in over summer. I think frogs would be cool too.