how to remove chlorine?

Zayne

• 5 months later...
I don't even use it at that strength, I put 5ml in my 220L barrel and then add another 50-200L of tap water depending on which tank it is (250-400L total WC)...

That's pretty much how I do it but I'm really only changing 20-30 litres. The first 10 litres gets the .3ml the dosage says to use then I keep topping up the bucket as it gets low. I've never had any problems with this approach.

I think the 500ml (and 2L) bottles of prime may be better value?

Although comparing product prices from a retail store that stocks fish and livestock to a TradeMe garage trader is hardly a fair comparison.. :wink:

That garage TM trader is Redwood aquatics in chch.. hehe

lol had to laugh at that but have a look at the seachem site apparently when sodium thiosulphate reduces chlorine compounds it can produce ammonia so seachem prime also contains an ammonia binder

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

It does, so if you happen to be having a ammonia problem, you can use it to keep the fish comfortable for awhile while you try fix it, plus it doesn't mess up ammonia test readings from what I've heard.

What about this:

Guest Editorial

According to Roddy Conrad:

Sodium thiosulfate instantly takes care of the chlorine in chloramine, as well as straight chlorine. The reaction to get rid of the chlorine with either chloramine or chlorine is instantaneous on mixing of the sodium thiosulfate and the chlorine or chloramine.

The reaction of sodium thiosulfate with chloramine produces ammonia. Assume you are doing a 20% water change and there is 1 PPM chloramine in the water. 1 PPM chloramine neutralized with sodium thiosulfate becomes 0.2 (20% water exchange) times 17/51.5 (molecular weight of ammonia divided by molecular weight chloramine) = 0.06 PPM ammonia level in the pond. 0.06 PPM is too low to even measure, and is safe for the fish anyway! My point is that it is perfectly safe to dechlorinate with sodium thiosulfate unless you are doing a 100 % water change and there is a huge 5 PPM chloramine concentration in the makeup water. Only then can the ammonia from the chloramine reaction with sodium thiosulfate get up to a 1.5 PPM ammonia level to give a possible real fish problem. Even then, please remember koi shipped in bags normally arrive at their destination in water that is 5 to 10 PPM ammonia level by measurement, and that is done all the time by the koi handlers without giving it a second thought. Yes, that level can do damage to the fish if you allow it to continue, no argument about that.

So all those warnings about using sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate water containing chloramines is just so much hype from folks making a profit selling the ammonia binding products to my way of thinking about the actual technology in action.

What about this:

Guest Editorial

According to Roddy Conrad:

Sodium thiosulfate instantly takes care of the chlorine in chloramine, as well as straight chlorine. The reaction to get rid of the chlorine with either chloramine or chlorine is instantaneous on mixing of the sodium thiosulfate and the chlorine or chloramine.

The reaction of sodium thiosulfate with chloramine produces ammonia. Assume you are doing a 20% water change and there is 1 PPM chloramine in the water. 1 PPM chloramine neutralized with sodium thiosulfate becomes 0.2 (20% water exchange) times 17/51.5 (molecular weight of ammonia divided by molecular weight chloramine) = 0.06 PPM ammonia level in the pond. 0.06 PPM is too low to even measure, and is safe for the fish anyway! My point is that it is perfectly safe to dechlorinate with sodium thiosulfate unless you are doing a 100 % water change and there is a huge 5 PPM chloramine concentration in the makeup water. Only then can the ammonia from the chloramine reaction with sodium thiosulfate get up to a 1.5 PPM ammonia level to give a possible real fish problem. Even then, please remember koi shipped in bags normally arrive at their destination in water that is 5 to 10 PPM ammonia level by measurement, and that is done all the time by the koi handlers without giving it a second thought. Yes, that level can do damage to the fish if you allow it to continue, no argument about that.

So all those warnings about using sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate water containing chloramines is just so much hype from folks making a profit selling the ammonia binding products to my way of thinking about the actual technology in action.

Well said... and good explanation thanks!