The continuing saga of the 700L tank

the-obstacle

Hi,

I've just picked up my first big tank (700L :o ) which was a steal because the base is cracked. I wasn't sure how cracked it was via the trademe add but it was half full with rain water after being outside for a few years which I figured was a good sign after the 2+ weeks of fine weather we've had.

I have 2 options -

1) buy a new piece of 10mm glass and replace the base (Greg quoted $280 for a custom piece) or

2) buy a piece of 4 or 5mm glass to fit the internal dimensions ($45 or so) and put it in then replace the bracing and re-silicone the whole tank.

I'm trying to do things on the cheap so number 2 would be the best option for me and I have the time to turn it into a project. As it's been outside for a long time I think it'd be best to replace all the silicone for good luck anyway.

So, number 1 is pretty straight forward but pricey. Would number 2 work? is a 4mm sheet siliconed onto the 10mm base likely to handle the weight of the full tank or am I asking for more trouble?

Here is the tank on it's side so I can do something with the base. The level is 1200mm long.

img6506.th.jpg

img6505u.th.jpg

img6504ty.th.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was watching that too..

The safest bet is to smash the existing bottom out and get a new one cut, the price Greg quoted you seems a bit high considering the price he sells 2m long tanks for on trademe, it must be the width or something that makes it cost more?

The piece of glass stuck inside would work in the fact that it would hold water but the base of the tank is where most of the stress is and that is why you usually find thicker bottoms than sides so it would quite weak with thin glass as there is no strength left with the 10mm piece broken. Wether or not you take the risk depends on how much of a gamble you want to make and how much you value the fish in it and how much you don't want the floor or area the tank is in wet.

is a 4mm sheet siliconed onto the 10mm base likely to handle the weight of the full tank or am I asking for more trouble?

I think you are.. I can't see how the existing broken glass would give any real support to the 4mm even though you glue them together.. too risky IMO... Great project though.. wish I could fit a tank that size where I live :D

Yeah I was watching that too..

The safest bet is to smash the existing bottom out and get a new one cut, the price Greg quoted you seems a bit high considering the price he sells 2m long tanks for on trademe, it must be the width or something that makes it cost more?

The piece of glass stuck inside would work in the fact that it would hold water but the base of the tank is where most of the stress is and that is why you usually find thicker bottoms than sides so it would quite weak with thin glass as there is no strength left with the 10mm piece broken. Wether or not you take the risk depends on how much of a gamble you want to make and how much you value the fish in it and how much you don't want the floor or area the tank is in wet.

Yeah, I feared that would be the case. Apparently it's a custom order, not offcuts in that size, so Greg couldn't just grab me a piece and have it fit. He suggested I buy a 2m one off him for $300 but it'd only be 400L all up while being the same price as the new base for this.

So not likely to hold then? Guess I'll be talking to the finance department tonight...

I can't see how the existing broken glass would give any real support to the 4mm even though you glue them together.. too risky IMO... Great project though.. wish I could fit a tank that size where I live

Yeah, seems that's consensus. I almost can't fit it where i live. It's been relegated to the workshop under the house for now, which is fine by me as there's water and drainage in there which will come in handy for water changes / continuous drip, overflow etc.

I repaired a 900L ( 2400mm x 600mm 600mm )tank base by glueing 2 pieces 1000mm x 500mm x 6mm and no problems since.

Ahh, now there's a bit of hope. I assume you did it on the inside? This base seems strong enough but there are a LOT of cracks.

On the other hand - it is a LOT of water to have flooding my basement which is full of family storage. I'm sure I'd get in a lot of trouble if I took a shortcut that ended up flooding it.

do you think I'm likely to be able to save the reinforcing strips that are in there or should I just get a bunch of new ones made while I'm ordering the new base? The one's that are in there seem to be 4mm glass or there abouts - would this suit as a replacement? If so I'll just get new ones made and break the whole base out including the bracing. If not 10mm ones might be a bit more expensive...

And how high would the basement fill if it had 700L of water in it? :lol:

Oh, it'd all run out the door. certainly wouldn't be more than 1cm at most but that would damage a LOT of old stuff that the in-laws have here.

Just confirmed $280 for the replacement from Greg so now to figure out if I can afford that before christmas. I want to take advantage of the cheap cf1200s at HFF before they go back up again.

Given that it has been sitting outside for two years, and you don't know the previous history of the tank, have you considered getting it stripped and reassembled?

Silicone does not last forever.

I know that will cost more again, but in the long run will give you more peace of mind (and time to get rid of the in-laws' stuff ;)

The thicker glass can usually be bought at offcut rates because it is only used in big sizes whereas the thinner stuff can be used right down to toilet window louvres. As the man says---ring around.

Coffee tables and furniture is often designed around "off cutts"