Timer suggestions

antwan

Twice in a row I have paid the price for buying cheap-quality light timers. I have bought the basic one found in the supermarket and warehouse for $7.99. First one stopped working after a few weeks, but this new one stopped tonight after just 4 days! How can they sell such an unreliable product?

Anyway, just wondering what timers everyone uses that actually do what they're supposed to and how much they cost?

the cheaper ones can't handle a big load through them usually

What do you regard as a big load?

I have one running the lights on 5 tanks (total of nearly 700w) and have never had an issue.

I just set and forget.

I realise 700w is not a huge load, but who here uses them for more than tank lighting?

I just went and counted, I have a total of 5 of these and they are all the Alto brand from Mitre10.

I can recall only one that didnt work and I took it back and got my money back and paid five time more for an expensive HPM one. That lasted a few months and then just wouldn go again so I went back to the cheapies.

I figure that at their price I can afford to have a few spare so if one does go I can just replace it. Its not like my tanks will crash if it stops for a day or so.

Maybe take them back and get some more. 150w MH should be fine.

I've got three just like the topmost one in the image that livingart posted. One runs the CO² solenoid, one runs the smaller tank light (~30w) and one runs my twin 2 x T5HO fixtures (156w).

All been running for about a year almost, they work great. 100% digital with a relay, not mechanical like the others.

• 1 month later...

I just started considering timers a wear item. I never managed to find one that lasted more than about 4-6 months before failing running MHs. But with the such a small load on them I'd just go for the cheapest, never had a problem with a timer outside of running MHs.