live foods

Ismart120

Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows the ins and outs of feeding live food to tropical fish, ie the legality of feeder fish, what other live animals can and cant be fed and where or where not to get them from? (rivers/lakes or just from other peoples ponds?)

Reason I ask is that the bucket of daphina I have growing slowly out back has found more and more inhabitants, like small water beetles etc. What about other insect larvae?

Thanks, Isaac

feed the insects to the fish. as for fish some people are strongly against feeding live fish to other fish, even to the extent of calling SPCA to have his fish taken from him (or so the guy at a fish shop tells me)

personally do what you like, but with some fish once they go to live food they have trouble going back to flake

From what I understand, you're only concerned about little bugs.

Which is totally fine. (Don't think anybody has a problem with that)

When it comes to small fish though, thats another story.

Only advice I have with live food is - they might be carrying bacteria (or worms depending on size) so keep an eye out for that.

ha, would say I was too concerned about the bugs themselves, more what damage they may do to my fish (parasites etc)

Hmmm, guess its a hard one with the fish, as technically, having breeding guppies with larger fish that eat the fry may be considered feeding live fish to bigger fish?

I have always had containers outside in which all sorts of greeblies (that is a technical term for small aquatic insects) grow and breed. I net one and all and feed them to the fish with no problems.

I have heard some, like backswimmers or waterboatmen, can eat fish eggs but they would have to beat the other fish to them first!!

I think you're not allowed to feed vertebrates as its considered cruel (I think there's a law about it?)

Personally I just feed anything, baby guppies just have to learn to be quicker :) survival of the fittest right. And as for larger fish and mice, it's only natural really and the fish will no doubt appreciate it more than some dried flake food

Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows the ins and outs of feeding live food to tropical fish,

Reason I ask is that the bucket of daphina I have growing slowly out back has found more and more inhabitants, like small water beetles etc. What about other insect larvae?

Thanks, Isaac

DONT FEED THEM

bag them up and I will dispose of them for you OK

No charge

I suppose Im just a nice guys eh

I think you're not allowed to feed vertebrates as its considered cruel (I think there's a law about it?)

Personally I just feed anything, baby guppies just have to learn to be quicker :) survival of the fittest right. And as for larger fish and mice, it's only natural really and the fish will no doubt appreciate it more than some dried flake food

are fish and mice not chordates with backbones and spinal columns?

Yeah, I'm not sure how well they'd do on a trip all the way up the country, disposal might be the only thing left for them at that point Barrie. :D

Ok, I'm going to assume that no one has lost any fish to water boatmen or back swimmers? Knowing the size of some compared to neons or wcmms, I thought there may have been a few horror stories out there...

Yeah, I'm not sure how well they'd do on a trip all the way up the country, disposal might be the only thing left for them at that point Barrie. :D

Ok, I'm going to assume that no one has lost any fish to water boatmen or back swimmers? Knowing the size of some compared to neons or wcmms, I thought there may have been a few horror stories out there...

its great tucker

I feed 80% live food

Is it not the same as breeding cows and sheep for us to eat? 8)

To be fair we don't eat the sheep or cows alive.

I meant to put live vertebrates in my post earlier but forgot. I'm sure my lab demonstrators last year were saying you weren't allowed to feed live vertebrates, but live invertebrates were perfectly fine (according to the ethics people).

Just a note; I don't follow these rules either, fry are great fish food :D

To be fair we don't eat the sheep or cows alive.

I meant to put live vertebrates in my post earlier but forgot. I'm sure my lab demonstrators last year were saying you weren't allowed to feed live vertebrates, but live invertebrates were perfectly fine (according to the ethics people).

Just a note; I don't follow these rules either, fry are great fish food :D

Yeah, I knew that :oops:

however, they (the powers that be) have ruled freshwater crayfish as illegal to do many things too, unethical and all that. So in labs at the start of the year at uni we had to state that we weren't going to be cruel to the crayfish that we had, all the insects we had however were fair game :D

So thats one random thing to note, even though they aren't chordates or anything. I know many people aren't concerned about feeding deformed fry to larger fish at least?

however, they (the powers that be) have ruled freshwater crayfish as illegal to do many things too, unethical and all that. So in labs at the start of the year at uni we had to state that we weren't going to be cruel to the crayfish that we had, all the insects we had however were fair game :D

Haha, yeah it was perfectly fine - encouraged even - for me to be feeding Mr Damselfly Larvae live mosquito larvae... not to mention the 'killing jars' and locusts that game back to life after being pinned.