Powercuts... What do you do to save your fish?

hovmoller

Just had a powercut that lasted an hour..

I have 4 canister filters full of bio media so I was starting to panic that all the bacteria would die.

I then started pouring tank water down through the intake tubes and that seemed to work but of course then the power came on again.

So what do you guys do when this happens? especially those of you with many tanks and whole fish rooms..

35hrs without power after the quake and not one dead fish. My 220 litre has 25 odd killies, 3 other smaller tanks and no problems.

Power out for a couple of hours is not a problem. Just let the tank heat up by itself when power comes back on.

Ok.. thanks..

But back on track here.. I'm not talking about the temperature of the tank (sorry should have been clear on that)

I am talking about the bacteria colonies in your filters that will quickly use up the oxygen around them if the filter is without power..

If these bacteria die because of lack of oxygen then they start breaking down and releasing toxins like ammonia.. if the power then commes on again all this will then get pumped into the tank itself and possibly kill your fish with a massive spike in e.g. ammonia.

It is this scenario I am asking about.. Generator is a good idea Kiwiplymouth and I guess almost a kind of insurrance if you have a fishroom..

If these bacteria die because of lack of oxygen then they start breaking down and releasing toxins like ammonia.. if the power then commes on again all this will then get pumped into the tank itself and possibly kill your fish with a massive spike in e.g. ammonia.

Unplug the filters from the wall and rinse the media once the power is back on?

If your canister filter has a priming pump, pumping it a few times every hour will keep some oxygen circulating in the filter or open the filter up so the surface area of the water can carry out some gas exchange. Stop feeding the fish and when the power comes back on increase the water changes and things will turn around pretty quick as long as the power hasn't been off for more than a few days.

Just had a powercut that lasted an hour..

I have 4 canister filters full of bio media so I was starting to panic that all the bacteria would die.

I then started pouring tank water down through the intake tubes and that seemed to work but of course then the power came on again.

So what do you guys do when this happens? especially those of you with many tanks and whole fish rooms..

An hour? Do nothing. The bacteria in the media won't die for a few hours.

After an hour I unplug the filters. When the power comes on I'll give them a really quick clean and connect them up again.

After 6-7 hours find some blankets to throw over the tanks.

After 12 hours give the water a bit of a swish every once in a while to airate it.

Not much else needs to be done.

what about a battery powered air pump placed in the filter? (well not the whole pimp, just the end bit) would that be enough to keep oxygenated?

As for heat loss, I'm fortunately on gas heated water so I can always change water if it gets to cold.

I recently did come home to find power cut to my smallest tank and the water had dropped 9oC. I warmed it up slowly and added some extra TLC bacteria to the filter.

stop all feeding during the power outage or anything that may stretch bio of the tank.

20% water change of similar temp to what is in tanks if you have facility to heat water- toss buckets in and let that be aeration.

Battery air pump would be handy

I think IRA is spot on with his scenario.

I have generator as with kiwi plymouth but wouldn't bother for anything less than 12 hrs.

My advice would be not too do anything drastic during the outage- look to preserve a bit of heat but keeping heat with no filtration/ water circulation will only draw on the O2 reserves.

the fish will 'hibernate' to a degree and you will be amazed how well healthy fish will cope.

obviously this time of year is better than June where ambient temp will accelerate temp drop.

Always pays to have some Methylene blue to add to tanks afterwards with letting the temp come up slowly and then passed normal temp a degree or two. Just may help with stress related things like whitespot.

Most power outages are less than 24 hrs and i think well maintained tanks can endure that easily enough.

what about a battery powered air pump placed in the filter? (well not the whole pimp, just the end bit) would that be enough to keep oxygenated?

As for heat loss, I'm fortunately on gas heated water so I can always change water if it gets to cold.

I recently did come home to find power cut to my smallest tank and the water had dropped 9oC. I warmed it up slowly and added some extra TLC bacteria to the filter.

will your gas water heating unit work without power? ours wont