What Apisto's do we have here in Nz?

danval

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point creating an official FNZAS apisto club though is there?

With administration, more subs etc etc. it would make more sense to join a local club so that you can register stuff but have the same email list as is above.

Although if there are to be no running costs for this club it would be rather cheap and the only fees would be the most basic FNZAS fees.

Woke up this morning to 6 dead males. That's right 6. That leaves me with 3 males I think, so yep Nav I'll try my best to keep them safe till you get here.

One very angry yellow female who is half the size of her mother and has inherited the temper of a .....

There are no eggs surprisingly enough, just 6 males thrown out the tank.

Not happy at all. I even covered the tank and she got them from behind the heater.

Gutted Phoenix :( I have had a few fish jump as well over the years, it does appear to happen when the fish are getting a hard time so maybe they were getting chased so much they pretty much had no option.. Looks like you didn't quite move them on in time :(

Apist list is growing really well, I am of the same thoughts as Phoenix at this stage there is probably no real benefit to be gained by having a dedicated apisto club in NZ but I think an email list would be awesome. I will also start up a list of known species (and people keeping/breeding them with their permission) when I get around to it.

Thanks danval.

I still have one female and now I have a theory with some evidence of how / why sporadic apisto deaths occur.

I believe they have a tendency to freak and stress out immensely and that usually leads to death characterised by suddenly going belly up and then dying.

Someone came over the other day to take a male apisto agasizzi home and the minute we caught one he went upside down and started breathing really really fast. Released him immediately and he was swimming upside down.

Went for another male; and the exact same thing happened.

This happened to 3 different fish. They were stressed out to the point of losing their colour and swimming upside down and almost having an epileptic fit!

So I decided they were not going to be taken out the tank until I could figure out what was going on.

They are all ok now, but at that point they were on the brink of death.

Very very weird and strange that's for sure.

Previously I knew this happened to Banggai Cardinal fish, but maybe the same happened with these guys..

Now I'm not making an assumption about all apistos (my other ones don't do this) or even all agasizzi, but the ones I have truly freaked me out when I saw this.

That does sound bizarre Phoenix I have never seen or heard of anything like that happening before.

I also think it is bizarre that you had 6 males jump out all at the same time I haven't lost many apistos to jumping and all of a sudden you loose 6 overnight.

So you are having all sorts of random stuff happen at your place!

Danval that site is awesome aye :) There is some amazing fish being collected..

Mine went through a HUGE amount of stress during the quake and they never showed any signed of problems whatsoever. In fact, they never looked better, even after swimming in cold mud! :o

I really don't find them any more sensitive than other fish. I don't baby them at all, I freely chuck them from tank to tank and do massive water changes and never have any problems. I figure that as with anything, if they live a protected life, they will find any sudden change traumatic. Works for me anyway.

I used to hate the very thought of mating offspring together.

But with fish I suppose it doesn't matter too much (genetically speaking however there are many drawbacks).

In the animal kingdom I believe it is worse to breed cousins together than it is to breed siblings together. Never breed more genetically complex organisms to siblings though - eg. dogs, cats, humans :o :lol: