What Apisto's do we have here in Nz?

danval

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think those are hongsloi, but I am not an expert. None of my females have that orange coloration. Either they are broody yellow, or they are grey w/ black markings. Other than some blue spots on the face, there are no other colours.

They could be young males, but the chin doesn't have stripes and the dorsal fin is a bit too short and rounded....?

Was just wondering.... There seems to be enough of us Apisto fans on here yet recent arrivals and not so recent arrivals seem to die out even though large numbers are brought in and they seem to have been bred successfully judging by forums I have browsed. So why are we letting the likes of Panduro's to die out?

I once had a stunning pair of Apistogramma trifasciata 'Rio Guapore'. They looked slightly nicer than this pair:

http://www.aquabase.org/member/album/pi ... C_full.jpg

My male had a lovely, well-developed dorsal fin, and pelvic fins like the fish in the photo. I got the pair from Redwood Aquatics in Christchurch. I spawned them, but the silly things ate all their fry! I moved them to my 150 liter tank, and shortly afterwards I had an outbreak of columnaris that killed all fish but 5 tetras and my GBAs. :cry: The Apistos were the last to die however. I thought they would go first if there was a disease. But they died anyway... :cry:

If anyone ever sees a pair of those Apisto. trifasciata 'Rio Guapore', PLEASE let me know, because I REALLY want some more! :D

Was just wondering.... There seems to be enough of us Apisto fans on here yet recent arrivals and not so recent arrivals seem to die out even though large numbers are brought in and they seem to have been bred successfully judging by forums I have browsed. So why are we letting the likes of Panduro's to die out?

Unsure what happened to the panduro I had what I believe is one of the last pairs around, only managed to spawn them once and even managed to get fry going but had to go away for a month, passed them on to someone else to raise while I was away but they had no luck either.. Shortly after the pair apisto'd on me, I am going to give a few more apistos a go after the move I had some luck with them last time I was in Auckland so I am hoping my issues were just water related down here.

Pretty much if anyone gets any apisto species and they can breed it they just need to breed the snot out of them and spread hundreds/thousands of them around the country to ensure their survival here.. I am unsure what happened to the panduro again because Casserole bred heaps of them and still they disappeared :(

I will buy some off you if you get them going and once I am settled hoping to get some agassizi too :)

My cockatoos were my last remaining dwarfs and I swore that I wouldn't bother with anymore until they did something for me.. Sure enough they have lived for ages and finally raised some babies.. Pretty stocked as the male has actually matured into quite a nice fish..

This is the best pic I could get of him

th_cockatoom3.jpg

This is what he used to look like..

th_cockatoom2.jpg

Hopefully I can move the pair and babies to Auckland and get some good ones going :)

An apisto club would be good but I can't see enough people joining or wanting to run it to make it worthwhile I mean like 10 people would join..

I would suggest we could co-ordinate an apisto email list or something like that where people can join and anyone can just email everyone with news on new apistos seen or anything for sale or WTB?