Discus Compatibility

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all, i currently have 60L tank with two Leopard/Snakeskin Discus

I am wondering, if it is okay to put an albino Axolotl into the tank with no problems? I have had my eye on them for sometime, so i hope it will be alright, i am getting the Axolotl on friday if so.

Also, my substrate is fluro orange pebbles, will this be okay for my Axolotl?

Thanks FNZAS

welcome 55. o.O

A 60L tank is too small for discus.

It is also too small for axolotls.

Discus are to be kept over 26C, and axolotls are to be kept under 20C.

You also shouldn't keep axolotls with pebbles because they swallow them and then die because they can't excrete it.

Guest Anonymous
welcome 55. o.O

A 60L tank is too small for discus.

It is also too small for axolotls.

Discus are to be kept over 26C, and axolotls are to be kept under 20C.

You also shouldn't keep axolotls with pebbles because they swallow them and then die because they can't excrete it.

Damn, that's lucky because the guy i was going to get the Axolotl from said it should be fine, if i just lower the temperature a bit.

Are there tropical Axolotls available in Pet Stores on sites like Trademe?

Thanks FNZAS

Guest Anonymous

What do you mean by this?

If i change, do you think i could change to this mini crystal like substrate i've seen? I'm not sure of the name though sorry.

Hmm, so i guess an Axolotl is out of the question now, i've seen these small discus in a Petstore, doyou think one of those will be fine?

No, I think you misunderstand. :)

A 60L tank is too small for one discus, let alone two or 3.

What do you mean by this?

I mean they eat the pebble (or pebbles) and then die because they cant poop it out. It gets stuck in their gut; they get infected and die.

Guest Anonymous

I think i might get Sand as a Substrate for my Tank, that should solve that problem.

No one has answered my question about Tropical Axolotls, are they available in NZ?

If so how much would they cost roughly?

Yeah, i know i need a larger tank but i don't have th emoney at the moment and really want another fish.

I think i might get Sand as a Substrate for my Tank, that should solve that problem.

No one has answered my question about Tropical Axolotls, are they available in NZ?

Yeah, i know i need a larger tank but i don't have th emoney at the moment and really want another fish.

Sometimes we need to make decisions based on the welfare of the animals we choose to keep rather than what we want.. I would suggest you pass your discus on to someone who can house them correctly (and knows how to care for them) and get some more suitable fish for your 60L tank.

As Phoenix said tropical axolotls don't exist, they need to be kept in cool water..

Things about Phoenix's is that they get old and burn out! :wink:

welcome new Phoenix - 55.

Although from mexico the natural habitat for Axolotyl is cold water and Discus are a fish that live and enjoy some of the warmest waters so they really aren't suited as tankmates no matter the size.

As for discus, the rule of thumb is about 50ltrs per fish and that would have to be optimum conditios to get anywhere the best from them.

i have seen breeding pairs in 100ltr tanks but that is a temporary situation.

If your are young the best you could do by them is keep their water conditions as best you can by small but very.very regular water changes until you can rehouse them by:

A. selling

OR

B. Getting a bigger tank.

Again, Welcome to the forum- there is some good advice and experience here-usually. Cheers!