Aqua one cannister filters?

A-town...

I'm surprised many people have Aqua one filters....

I constantly read on various forums people boasting about their can't-live-without-my-insert expensive brand-filter. Usually eheims, etc... and they all seem to turn their nose up at aqua one products in general.

There is some major filter "fan-boys" out there....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the pump output with full media, sponges, and it being setup exactly as the manual specifies, and is measured at a maximum height of 180cm.

Still; the eheim comes with $150 or so of media and the aquaone comes with $20 media. I'm just saying. Don't shoot me.

I doubt that it's measured at a head height of 1.8 meters. Looks like that's the maximum head which is where it cannot pump any water at all. A cannister in normal operation would be running at 0 head.

I'm surprised many people have Aqua one filters....

I constantly read on various forums people boasting about their can't-live-without-my-insert expensive brand-filter. Usually eheims, etc... and they all seem to turn their nose up at aqua one products in general.

it's the only A1 product i would buy though :lol:

It all depends what you want to get out of it and what you want to spend.. To me I have found the aqua ones to be really good quality even compared to eheim and fluval, I am pretty rough with stuff so tend to find out what ones are cheap and nasty. My aqua ones have all stood up with 4-5yrs of constant use and I am yet to break anything on them, have an air leak or even wear out an impeller, plus they do a good job of filtering the tank, that is pretty good going for any filter in my books let alone a cheap one.

The eheim media does retail for alot more? But what is it worth? And does it do any better job? I know the aqua one stuff works and it is a hard thing to determine. It might be like some other products that come out of the same factory with different labels on them and different prices based on marketing.

lol I think Phoenix hates the fact the hoses are clear and algae/crud tends to grow in them which can look pretty terrible.

This is a very interesting discussion, and the type of thing that will happen everywhere in life with all products we buy, shops we shop at etc everyone has their own opinions.

:roll:

The people I see [myself included] recommending the more expensive products are doing so because they have used both and have made comparisons between them. Which is more than can be said for the "I've got an aquaone filter and its fine" brigade who have never even owned the more expensive brands....

The people I see [myself included] recommending the more expensive products are doing so because they have used both and have made comparisons between them. Which is more than can be said for the "I've got an aquaone filter and its fine" brigade who have never even owned the more expensive brands....

popcorn time

yes the only filter i have ever used is an aquua one and i have never used another brand

Which is more than can be said for the "I've got an aquaone filter and its fine" brigade who have never even owned the more expensive brands....

Who would that be? Most of the people that have made comment on here have owned multiple brands. There are some that say their cheap filter is fine without comparing them to a more expensive one. All the people so far that have supported Aqua One over the more expensive filters have said that they have owned both and still like the Aqua One.

My post was mearly an observation. :wink: wasn't trying to start a "popcorn" moment... :lol:

I also have only owned a A1 (1200). But I've only owned one external filter....so still time for me to buy a fan boys one, once im no longer a poor uni student.

That is interesting :) I am making the comparison with the various eheim, fluval, jebo, via aqua, sun sun and other externals I have used and owned over the years.. As I have said above I have had quite a few of them running for years and years with tanks nice and clean fish all healthy and nothing wearing out or going wrong so they can't be that bad. Believe me some cheap brands are rubbish and I happy to say that for ex I have found the jebo externals don't last very long before they leak and fall to bits.

My post was mearly an observation. :wink: wasn't trying to start a "popcorn" moment... :lol:

lol me neither, but I'll happily sit here munching back on an XL bucket of the stuff watching all the drama queens get defensive misinterpreting my comments as a personal attack on their integrity as a human being....

:wink:

Who would that be? Most of the people that have made comment on here have owned multiple brands.

Well its obviously not them then is it. I'm not making a personal attack on the credibility of individuals, merely pointing out that brushing off those who have used many brands and subsequently recommend the more expensive brands as "fanboys" is a bit naive.

Put your e-sword away Don Quixote, its only a windmill....

. Which is more than can be said for the "I've got an aquaone filter and its fine" brigade who have never even owned the more expensive brands....

lolneither, but I'll happily sit here munching back on an XL bucket of the stuff watching all the drama queens get defensive misinterpreting my comments as a personal attack on their integrity as a human being....

Put your e-sword away Don Quixote, its only a windmill....

I have used Jebo, Eheim and Fluval. Currently I prefer the Jebo but it has only been running 4 years so I can't comment on longevity.

The Fluvals always clogged quickly and were a pain to pull apart for cleaning.

The Jebo is great and, so far, has just kept going and going and goi... Clean it out every 12 months or so when the water flow slows too much.

The only Eheim I have had was a wet/dry and it ran for 6 months before the wet/dry bit failed. From searching the Net and asking around I gather this was a common fault with them. We tried to get help in fixing it but without success. Emails to Eheim were ignored. As a result of our experience I would never consider Eheim again. Before you all say it should have been covered by warranty... it was given to us by a man who had bought it then put it in his wardrobe, un-used, for 3 or 4 years as he never got around to setting up the tank he had bought it for! He didn't know where he had bought it from and did not have the receipt. I couldn't see us being able to prove it had only been used for the past 6 months :roll:

OK, for me there is an element of trust with external filters ...

Can I trust that a cheaper filter wont have a failure at some point in the tubing/connections/seals that results in a tank emptied all over my floor? Cheaper plastic may degrade and become brittle quicker than more expensive brands.

I guess it goes for internals with me too - my mother gave me her unbranded (cheap) internal filter that was several years old, had not been used for a couple years that I put on a guppy fry tank earlier this year. I also floated a polystyrene float to hatch brine shrimp - and my 10 yr old came out of going to see the babies and said "mum I didn't know that polystyrene gave you electric shocks?" :o Luckily he had only touched the slightly wet poly and not put his hand into the tank because on closer inspection, the wiring from the filter (which had been inspected only a week or so before when I first used it) had cracked and exposed the wires.

So for me now, I am prepared to pay more for a perceived increase in safety - with both the electrical housing and also for the hopefully reduced risk of leakage with more expensive brands.

Altho, I must say, I am on the fence about aqua one - fairly reputable mid-range $$ brand? I still think I would rather wait and get an eheim/fluval....

405 is supposedly better

the 405 is supposedly better

I most definitely is.

I had the displeasure of dealing with an 04 series once. It got thrown in the skip bin by the time I was done with it.

05 series are perfect. They make good fountains too eh? :D:D :lol: :wink:

Nail on the head David.

Im not saying aquaones are bad, on the contrary, the represent good value. But when expensive livestock etc.. is involved ill only buy the best, why skimp on something as important as filtration?

And we know that the chances of an eheim still running in 10 years time are a fair bit greater than anything else on the market.

I used to hate people whod bleat on about eheims, but having used a lot of their equipment, i am completely converted, and its hard to compare anything else to them - Notable mentions outside the external filter category have to be jager heaters, and the pickup range of internal filters.