Coral we brought back from Fiji and Kiribati

Omaria

Can we do anything with it to make it safe to put in the tropical fish tank? (50 liters with Neons platy and guppy)

Give it a rinse and a scrub then throw them in the tank. But they'll raise the PH and it looks like your tank is very much an acidic fish tank.

Give it a rinse and a scrub then throw them in the tank. But they'll raise the PH and it looks like your tank is very much an acidic fish tank.

How can you tell? All the tests done today I dont think agree with your diagnosis.

I think cites only regulates collection of specific species, not all coral?

http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/role/international/endangered-species/faq/#coral

Sooo, only small, dead, finger like bits are allowed. eg When I was in Fiji, I found a bit of brain coral on the beach but didn't bring it back 'cos I knew I wasn't allowed.

Out of curiosity, did you declare it when you brought it in Omaria?

I think Omaria is asking how can Ira tell her tank is acidic. ...

Tests were done today and unless it was Ira that did the tests how do they know it was acidic?

But perhaps Ira meant that because of the neons it should stay more towards the acidic range.

I don't think adding coral to your tank will do it any good. It will raise the pH to a stage where the fish you have will not be happy However, later on if you go to a bigger tank with cichlids and still want to put it in a tank it would be fine with them as they need a tank with high pH.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/role/international/endangered-species/faq/#coral

Sooo, only small, dead, finger like bits are allowed. eg When I was in Fiji, I found a bit of brain coral on the beach but didn't bring it back 'cos I knew I wasn't allowed.

Out of curiosity, did you declare it when you brought it in Omaria?

Yes we declared it, not knowing it wasnt allowed didnt realise it was still considered a living organism thats protected. The customs officer had a look, talked to us, and let us take it. :)