what to breed

myfishybuisness

A very good question indeed. From my experience by the time you breed it and grow it out you find that what people want has changed - yet again. Easy to breed, easy to rear fish are probably in reality the best way to go because they are cheaper to buy, people buy more. If they are cheap and they die they are then just replaced.

Sounds very cynical doesn't it :roll:

hmmmm how about:

Dogs, cats, fish, humans, birds, sheep, cows, horses. frogs, pigs.

Hope this helps :lol:

:o

Any sort of idea as to what you want to breed? Anything at all? Then we can inform you of the difficulty from there :)

Breed something you like :) If you want something people will always want then make sure you breed something peaceful and community like..

To very valid comments. :D

My question - why do you want to breed? Because you want to see if you can or because you want it to be a money making venture?

Breed some Apistogramma.

They are always in demand as they do well in a community setup and NZ has way to few of them available. We need to get them out there and keep what we have here available. Many times I have lost a fish and never been able to replace it as they are not too common.

HTH

wow lots of coments , i have decide i might try breeding some show guppys even though they are easy i would like to get a good quality strain going for the next fish show , e.g full blacks , full red albino, and i already have albino snakeskin so yeah

(also i have more fun sorting and experimenting differnt breeds of guppys and its cheap and doesnt matter if you screw up)

Breed some Apistogramma.

They are always in demand as they do well in a community setup and NZ has way to few of them available. We need to get them out there and keep what we have here available. Many times I have lost a fish and never been able to replace it as they are not too common.

HTH

I agree, Im having trouble replacing a cacatuoides male. We need more of these awesome fish.

What do you guys do with the fry though? Can you just come round the LFS and see if they will take them?

Some people will use trademe, others prefer to support their LFS and sell there, yet others will offer them for sale or trade at their local club. With selling to the LFS it's always a good idea to ring before hand to see if they're interested (not all LFS will buy from hobbyists, or sometimes they already have enough of that fish in stock and don't want anymore at that time). Also, my rule of thumb for trying to sell fish to the LFS - only offer fish that you yourself would be willing to buy (i.e. not too small, reasonably coloured, no deformities etc). As for the price you get - that will depend on the LFS, some offer more if you take it as store credit rather than cash, but in general I don't expect to get more than half the retail price.